BS at work - "we don't use fancy words around here, boy."

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

I am working for the engineering department on the boat. Today, this dickhead asks me if this plug looked off. I said ad verbatim: "On arbitrary observation I am not sure."

He replied with: "<read the title of the thread> + We only use four-letter words around here." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

I have been getting harassed because I am a college student whom specializes in computers and lingistics, yet find hydralics, refrigeration, heating, and general repairs around the boat easy. What should I do? :confused:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You know what they say, "When in Rome...".

Another one that comes to mind is "Know your audience."

Personally, I'd just conform and comply. You may be respected more if you fit in and use the vernacular. It may sound stupid to have to change your ways, but it's not like they are asking you to do anything illegal.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

be proud dude...use the biggest words you can.....just dont go overboard(pun intended):cool:

Bless

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd tell him if he had a problem with the way I spoke to take it up with the captain. Eff that crap. I've done deliveries with asshats like that.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Suggested reply would have been: " ****ed if I know. Let's look at it."

I would have probably dissed you for the "arbitrary observation" too -- you could 've just said "I'm not sure" or "at first glance, I'm not sure".

Working with people does mean talking their language. Using unnecessarily complex words leads to other people thinking you're putting them down or being superior. Now you may, in fact, be superior; however showing it is not the best way to forge teamwork.

So: Your mate there just taught you a valuable life lesson. Buy him a beer.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Definitely no fun in that.

7. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Yeah, but if these guys are enigneers than the word arbitrary should be no shock at all. I mean, damn, these are words spoken in the freshman (first semester) of colleges. Oh, I thought I knew the audience, at some universities engineering and science are lumped in the same department. Are these just over-glorified mechanics? Ever heard the title, "sanitation engineer"?

8. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Yeah, I use the f-word and more all day too. Although after a year on this boat to earn 30k + to go back to school, and if I talk like that, the university will brand me a dip<deleted word>. lol :eek:

9. Motley macrumors 6502

Ever heard the title "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer" Now that's scary and insulting to to real engineers.

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Use the "KISS" rule, Keep It Simple Stupid.

Just because you you know the meaning and value words, doesn't mean other are the same. For all you know he hangs out in a bar during his time off while his main vocabulary consists of ****. ;) :)

You made a mistake, and he responded in a rude manner. There are also visual cue that one draws up before any verbal communication proceeds. :)

You live, you learn. :)

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why couldn't you just say you didn't know?? who the heck says "On arbitrary observation I am not sure." (i mean, i know you do...)

there's no need to clutter your language with uneccessary verbage...

in the engineering field especially- making yourself as clear as possible, with as few words as possible, is important.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Good point. About two years ago I took a Business Writing and Communication course. The professor had two Undergrad degrees, two masters, an MBA, and a Doctorate. He is/was a CEO of a law firm in Wilmington DE. He was educated and very intelligent. But one of the most important things he told us was in business you have to keep things simple. This makes sure everyone understand and there is no confusion.
    Examples:
    1. Use contractions
    2. If two words mean the same, use the more common word or the smaller word.
    3. If something is a widget, call it a widget. So what if you called it a widget five times in the last three sentences. Don't come up with creative pronouns just for variety.
    4. Don't say more than you have to. Fluff is never good.

There were more, but I can't remember them right now.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

He very well could have known the meaning. An engineers primary goal is to be efficient at whatever they do. "arbitrary" isn't the most efficient way to communicate.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Language should be appropriate. "Big" words give us the opportunity of being more specific with what we're saying but that doesn't necessarily mean they should always be used. Sometimes a smaller, more general word will suffice. :)

As a temporary wine rep, an ex-engineering student, and a current psychology student, I've got a lot of empathy for you Chacala_Nayarit but remember that the purpose of language is communication and there's no point in big words if they're not understood, or worse, if they're misunderstood. :p

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

u just made the guy feel like he's stupid. next time throw a 20 letter word on him and lets see how far he can shot-putt:p :D

Bless

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

It also doesn't "roll off the tongue easily." That is the whole point of communication, its supposed to be clear and to the point without hesitation on how to pronounce the word(s).

Leave that for the legal documentations. ;)

17. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Or maybe he was having a bad day as is, and then this young punk kid comes along with his fancy words. ;)

LMAO....reminded me of a situation that happened to a friend a while back. :)

18. Chubypig macrumors 6502

I gotta agree. I mean, it seems so easy to just say "I don't know." I'm an intelligent person and use a sophisticated vocabulary, but still... come on.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good point Motley. :)

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the best response would be: "Well, in that case, that **** is fine, but you're a dumb ass!" :D I think actually it would probably make him laugh. But well, you have to be the right person to pull it off. :)

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Or maybe you might want to reconsider doing that. ;) :)

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Just use "ain't". It's the catch-all for dumbing down.
    "On arbitrary observation, I ain't sure." He'd a let it go.
    It's just like using "bless his heart" in the south. You can say anything to or about anybody and get by with it when you end with "bless his heart". (i.e. He ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, bless his heart.) :)

23. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I may be a bit out of my element as I'm a writer, not an engineer. That said, the reason that so many stageplays come off as trite is because the characters speak perfect grammar all the time. People don't talk like that, which makes many stageplays annoying to the common viewer. Remember that vernacular doesn't equal intelligence. Hell, Einstein couldn't tie his shoes.

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fiction I presume. :D

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah...they didn't have velcro back then. That would have been teh sUXX0Rz... :(