Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'm all for using the language as one pleases, but "arbitrary observation" is a misuse of the word arbitrary. i think what you really meant was "cursory."

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Plain English

I think the OP sounded a bit pompous in his reply.

It is becoming more standard in communications to use plain english. Many government forms and letters are being rewritten so that anyone can understand them. The goal should be to communicate in such a way that it is impossible for the user to misunderstand.

I am trying to change the way I write at work. I have to write reports that are used in the criminal justice system. It is very important that my report is not misuderstood. If I sound like a scientific paper, then I am doing a disservice to the people who will use my work.

That is what is all about -- people using your words. What is your mate supposed to do if he can't undstand you?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
zimv20 said:
i'm all for using the language as one pleases, but "arbitrary observation" is a misuse of the word arbitrary. i think what you really meant was "cursory."
Ya, but the other bubba did all the cursing...

:p

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
mad jew said:
Interesting, but hardly the most reputable source...

Yeah his mother was such a liar. Like I said, it was a quick google search. If you choose not to believe, fine. I thought this was common knowledge.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm pretty sure his mum was Mrs E, not Denise. ;)

Irrespective, it just seems like another bad attempt to make dyslexics feel better about themselves. :eek:

Maybe I've got it worng. Nothing worng with being wrong...

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Chacala_Nayarit said:
Are these just over-glorified mechanics? Ever heard the title, "sanitation engineer"?
My dad always comments on this whenever a technition is referred to as an engineer.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you worked in a redneck joint, expect your educated ass to be beaten and your brain damaged until you drool just like them.

The Cliff Notes...

Using flowery speech in the redneck bar with either make you look like an overeducated dandy, or simply another pompous ass like Cliffy.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Sun Baked said:
If you worked in a redneck joint, expect your educated ass to be beaten and your brain damaged until you drool just like them.

The Cliff Notes...

Using flowery speech in the redneck bar with either make you look like an overeducated dandy, or simply another pompous ass like Cliffy.

True. Unecessarily elevated diction is a good way to get people to quit listening to you....or "kick his ass Seabass"

I worked for a parks n' rec crew this past summer with a bunch of blue collars that managed to use f**k as adjective, noun, and verb (usually gerund but other forms as well) in every sentence (sometimes all at once).

I took it upon myself to expand my vocabulary. I learned some very colorful metaphors :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Retarding yourself only perpetuates the downfall of humanity ... a smart person shouldn't have to act stupid; a stupid person should be expected to learn. Is our goal in life to be dumb?

peace | neut

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Chacala_Nayarit said:
I am working for the engineering department on the boat. Today, this ******** asks me if this plug looked off. I said ad verbatim: "On arbitrary observation I am not sure."

He replied with: "<read the title of the thread> + We only use four-letter words around here." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

I have been getting harassed because I am a college student whom specializes in computers and lingistics, yet find hydralics, refrigeration, heating, and general repairs around the boat easy. What should I do? :confused:

I would have given you the same reply.

Just because your in college doesn't mean you have to talk like that. I'm in college, my friends are, and my professors who have PhD's are as well - but neither them or I have the need to purposely talk like that.

It's obvious you feel "talking in such a manner" makes you appear more intelligent (which, it doesn't, btw), so it should be no surprise to get a reply like that.

"Honey...how's my cake? I just baked it!"

"On abitrary observation, I find it a little less delectable than desired when in the presence of my pallate. Perhaps the amount of saccharose is a bit too copious, my dear."

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Why do people feel it necessary to act unintelligent to feel comfortable? Sounds like inadequacy with ones own self ... why is it the responsibilty of the intelligent to entertain the weak minded? i would prefer that people use big words to say what they mean.

Don't let *******s make YOU feel like an *******. It's their guilt ...

peace | neut

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
neut said:
Why do people feel it necessary to act unintelligent to feel comfortable? Sounds like inadequacy with ones own self ... why is it the responsibilty of the intelligent to entertain the weak minded? i would prefer that people use big words to say what they mean.

Don't let *******s make YOU feel like an *******. It's their guilt ...

peace | neut
Why do people feel it necessary to relate the words one uses in conversation with intelligence?

I assure you there is no correlation.

Your IQ is fixed from the day you are born until the day you die. You cannot change your intelligence, no matter how much you educate yourself.

Your vocabulary on the other hand is something you can change very easily; a simple task like reading a book can incease one's vocab.

Using words you think are "big" will not increase your intelligence; it's only away to make it *appear* you are more intelligent. (Though anyone with any amount of intelligence will detect just the opposite, and learn of your intelligence by what you *do* - not what you say).

Specifically using larger words in the false belief that it is a sign of intelligence is much more characteristic of guilt and inadiquicy with one's own self than commenting on those who do such a thing is.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Josh said:
Specifically using larger words in the false belief that it is a sign of intelligence is much more characteristic of guilt and inadiquicy than commenting on those who do such a thing is.

Using big words to make ones self appear more intelligent is as stupid as using small words to make ones self feel comfortable. Both persons would have personal problems ... something they need to deal with; not make those around them conform to their inadiquacy. To make a personal attack on someone use of large words shows ones inadequacy of their own usage an inabilty to use such words being more comfortable with four letter words. But yes you're correct ... it swings both ways.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to expand human nocabulary if that one of our accept form of communication. Why retard our speech for the sake of being comfortable? But going around using the biggest words possible make one an ******* as well.

This guy has a genuine understanding of the laguage he uses (most people do not). Thos exposed to his vocabulary would benefit from listening to the way he uses his speech to clarify what he is trying to say. Speech is meant to communicate ... not to sound cool (being complex or siplified).

Regaurdless i see this situation as one of human understanding VS. being an ******* to your fellow man.

peace | neut

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
^

Choosing to use words that are less concise than their alternatives is not demonstrating a mastery of the language.

"On arbitrary observation..." is over-kill.

Arbitrary = Uncertain; random; accidental; discretionary; outside of central relevance to the methodology, law or principle, therefore accepting of individual choice and subjectivity

The meaning of the word 'arbitrary' is indeed in itself arbitrary.

Was it by accidental notice that he observed that? No. It was "at first" - a definition the word "arbitrary" does not carry.

"Upon first inspection..." or "Right away..." would have suited the context much better.

What is the difference in being an ******* by using unecessary words to sound more superior than the person you're talking to, and being an ******* by calling him out for doing so?

Being an ******* is not a good thing, but I believe the second scenario is the more respectable of the two evils.

(Not trying to drag a pointless is discussion on, but the two different sides are interesting. It doesn't seem like there are too many folks 'in the middle')

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Josh said:
(Not trying to drag a pointless is discussion on, but the two different sides are interesting. It doesn't seem like there are too many folks 'in the middle')

Very intersting. :)

I think his response was justified in meaning he hadn't even really look at the article addressed in the disscussion ... without thinking about what was said (seemingly an honest, albiet arbitrary ;) , response) the guy responded without thinking to make himself feel comfortable with the situation. rather than taking the opportunity to understand what was being said. Maybe what was said really was inappropriate and with a better response both could be enlighted ... as it stands both feel feel more uncomfotable with each other than they did previously.

It's funny ... being in the middle is probably the most polite stance in this situation, but not a lot of people seem to be there. :) It's also funny how a simple situation can expose peoples passion of humanity/life and how they perceive it. :)

peace | neut

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
neut said:
It's funny ... being in the middle is probably the most polite stance in this situation, but not a lot of people seem to be there. :) It's also funny how a simple situation can expose peoples passion of humanity/life and how they perceive it. :)

Well, I think the middle ground would be that people (of all educational backgrounds), should be considerate about where other people are coming from and how they think, and understanding of differences between themselves and others. And that when these differences catch us off guard, both parties should be understanding and not take themselves too seriously, but focus on their common goals. But who wants to argue about that? :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
gwuMACaddict said:
But the ability to speak and write well do take into account the audience.

It would not make sense to read a doctoral thesis on the feasibility of designing a cold fusion plant to a bunch of first graders.

You'd just end up with a bunch of kids drooling and planting their face in the concrete as they pass out from boredom.

To write and speak well you have to be able to communicate to those you are speaking to, at a level they can understand.

Inability to do this isn't showing a mastery of speech.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
CanadaRAM said:
Nope, our goal in life is to get along with others...
I have been accused of using words which are outside of the vocabulary of my coworkers. Typically it is an attempt to shade the meaning and convey additional information. I usually avoid prolix speech and my concision is often the source of the difficulties, but since I seek elucidation instead of intimidation my pedagogy is met with acceptance instead of opprobrium.

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.