BSD subsystem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CmdrLaForge, Aug 8, 2004.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

I am trying to install a software which requires the BSD subsystem is installed. The problem is - I have no idea how to check that. Can't see anything in the system profiler.

Does anyone know how to check if it is installed or not and if it isn't installed how to do that ?

Thanks.
    CmdrLaForge

2. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

The BSD subsystem is already installed. I would go so far as to say you cannot install Mac OS X without the BSD subsystem. :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not entirely true. If you are still using the version of MacOS X that shipped preinstalled on your Mac, then yes. IIRC, installing the BSD subsystem is the default when you upgrade your OS. However, you have the option not to install it. Although it is likely that the BSD subsystem has been installed on CmdrLaForge's computer, it is by no means certain.
    Run the installer for your software. If the BSD subsystem is not installed, the installer should tell you. If the BSD subsystem is not installed, then do a regular install of your OS. It won't wipe your existing files, but it will install the files that are missing.

4. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

thanks for your reply. i have an iBook with 10.2.8 It came with no OS installed. First step was installing the OS. That was 10.2.4. I will try that with the installer and see what he tells me.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge

5. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

one more question: how to run the installer. I have tried inserting the Mac OS 10.2.4 install disks that came with my iBook and hold c on startup. But on installing i just get two options: delete everything end re-install or backup and re-install. I don't want to try either option. Is there another way ?

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge

6. rock6079 macrumors 6502

my buddy, a first time mac user did it, he jsut unclicked it in the options of what to install wen installin osx on his machine .. emac

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have the System Restore disk for your machine. If you can score a standard distribution of MacOS X 10.3, you're golden.