Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I have a mid 2012 cMP and installed windows from scratch using a installer DVD. After installing i'm trying to update it to pro after activation and it reboots and shows that it's upgrading but always gets a BSOD then after a reboot it rolls back. I've done it about 4 times now with same result every time. I have bootcamp 5.1 installed. Bootcamp drive is a 512GB SSD plugged in bay 4. Any advice would be appreciated i'm lost on what to do.

System Specs:

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 2.17.12 PM.png

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have a mid 2012 cMP and installed windows from scratch using a installer DVD. After installing i'm trying to update it to pro after activation and it reboots and shows that it's upgrading but always gets a BSOD then after a reboot it rolls back. I've done it about 4 times now with same result every time. I have bootcamp 5.1 installed. Bootcamp drive is a 512GB SSD plugged in bay 4. Any advice would be appreciated i'm lost on what to do.

System Specs:

View attachment 642120

What's the bluescreen message please? Could you take a photo?

Reactions: Zaithe

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The HFS driver in BootCamp 5.1 is for up to Windows 8.1 only. You can get the HFS driver from BootCamp 6 here, which supports Windows 10 and the cMP.

You need to do this even if you don't care about accessing HFS volumes in Windows.
Trying to use the Boot Camp 5.1 HFS driver in Windows 10 breaks Windows Volume Shadow Services, which in turn prevents Windows Restore Points from working.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I suspect the upgrade process you are doing is attempting to make a Restore Point and failing.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The HFS driver in BootCamp 5.1 is for up to Windows 8.1 only. You can get the HFS driver from BootCamp 6 here, which supports Windows 10 and the cMP.

You need to do this even if you don't care about accessing HFS volumes in Windows.
Trying to use the Boot Camp 5.1 HFS driver in Windows 10 breaks Windows Volume Shadow Services, which in turn prevents Windows Restore Points from working.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I suspect the upgrade process you are doing is attempting to make a Restore Point and failing.

I am now with the "fast" insider preview, the HFS driver won't work, but from memory, the 5.1 driver works fine in official Win 10. I didn't setup any restore point, I use WinClone to manage my own backup (may be that's why I didn't notice any issue). And it didn't cause BSOD (unless Apple soft RAID exist).

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
What's the bluescreen message please? Could you take a photo?

Ok so i went the extra mile and here is my last crash dump log:
http://pastebin.com/Qw0A2xxj

Looks like it's having trouble with my memory? It's ECC Registered ddr3 sdram
[doublepost=1469662665][/doublepost]

I attached the error log, I'll install the HFS driver after work and let you know if it helps.

Last edited:

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Can you clarify what you mean by "update it to pro"? You cannot use the activation for Home to upgrade to Pro. You can upgrade from Home to Professional by:

Click Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Can you clarify what you mean by "update it to pro"? You cannot use the activation for Home to upgrade to Pro. You can upgrade from Home to Professional by:

Click Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation
Well i installed windows, skipped activation then when installed i activated it then windows update said it was downloading pro version and after it finished it restarted and started installing then BSOD

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Well i installed windows, skipped activation then when installed i activated it then windows update said it was downloading pro version and after it finished it restarted and started installing then BSOD
What version of Windows 10 did you install? Home or Pro? What version is the license key applicable to? You'll need to be clear on your explanation in order for us to help you.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
What version of Windows 10 did you install? Home or Pro? What version is the license key applicable to? You'll need to be clear on your explanation in order for us to help you.
I used the publicly available ISO from the microsoft website.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10ISO

I installed as pro but i guess it was a test build. On the bottom right it shows the build and "Test Mode" of windows 10 Pro. You can see the update as being a different build.
windows.jpg

So i have an issue i have been peeling over the dump log and familiarizing myself with WHEA and the error is a MCE error and from what i have concluded the memory had a problem. The most important info i need though is returned as "Unknown Error".

Here are my memory specifications:
Kingston ValueRAM 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR13LR9D4/16
http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR13LR9D4_16.pdf

If anyone wants to play around with the dmp file I attached it, plus a guide on how to debug it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315263
https://bsodtutorials.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/the-complete-debugging-guide-to-stop-0x124-part-1/
https://bsodtutorials.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/the-complete-debugging-guide-to-stop-0x124-part-2/
https://bsodtutorials.wordpress.com/2015/08/07/the-complete-debugging-guide-to-stop-0x124-part-3/

Here is a screenshot of the record for the issue.
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ ffffe00004d13038
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id : 01d1e643c1235a49
Severity : Fatal (1)
Length : 873
Creator : Microsoft
Notify Type : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp : 7/25/2016 7:11:28 (UTC)
Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0 : Memory
Descriptor @ ffffe00004d130b8
Section @ ffffe00004d13190
Offset : 344
Length : 73
Flags : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity : Fatal

Section 1 : Processor Generic
Descriptor @ ffffe00004d13100
Section @ ffffe00004d131d9
Offset : 417
Length : 192
Flags : 0x00000000

Proc. Type : x86/x64
Instr. Set : x64
Error Type : Unknown error
Flags : 0x00
CPU Version : 0x00000000000206c2
Processor ID : 0x0000000000000020

Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor @ ffffe00004d13148
Section @ ffffe00004d13299
Offset : 609
Length : 264
Flags : 0x00000000

Error : Unknown (Proc 12 Bank 8)
[doublepost=1469677336][/doublepost]After looking into it further i may be wrong. It could be an issue with the cpu caching. Perhaps i need to update my intel chipset drivers?

Attachments

• 072516-8125-01.dmp.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
This issue has been resolved!
Thank you all for your help!

Fix Below:
I installed the HSF driver and updated my chipset driver to the most recent one that supported my chipset hardware id's and windows 10 x64. After that it upgraded fine. Not sure if it was the chipset or the HSF driver. Here is the chipset driver i installed for the curious:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/Chipset_10.0.26_Public.zip

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016

Fix Below:
I installed the HSF driver and updated my chipset driver to the most recent one that supported my chipset hardware id's and windows 10 x64. After that it upgraded fine. Not sure if it was the chipset or the HSF driver. Here is the chipset driver i installed for the curious:
This is great news. I was leaning towards a driver issue as you did not mention any problems with OS X and the problem appeared after it began to update. However I'm still unclear if you're upgrading to Pro from Home or if it is merely installing updates. The former is something I've never heard of (unless you specifically initiated an upgrade) the latter being far more likely.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
This is great news. I was leaning towards a driver issue as you did not mention any problems with OS X and the problem appeared after it began to update. However I'm still unclear if you're upgrading to Pro from Home or if it is merely installing updates. The former is something I've never heard of (unless you specifically initiated an upgrade) the latter being far more likely.
It said it was pro before the update. I guess running pro in test mode is different than full mode and limited.
You can see from the screenshot i had posted of the update if you look in the bottom right.

Funny thing is i been dealing with constant BSOD all night at random and tracked it down the the chipset driver i installed. While it helped me install windows it didn't run well after install. Seems stable now. I'm going to reinstall bootcamp just to be sure..

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
It said it was pro before the update. I guess running pro in test mode is different than full mode and limited.
You can see from the screenshot i had posted of the update if you look in the bottom right.

After reviewing the screen shot (missed it somehow) I understand what the update is. In November Microsoft released a significant update to Windows 10. Known as the November Update version 1511. Apparently the initial install you performed was with the original release of Windows 10. The update shown in the screen shot is to update it to the November 1511 Update. You're not upgrading from Home to Pro...you're updating from the RTM to the November 1511 Update. In essence you're applying a service pack (though Microsoft does not call these updates service packs). This update may be incompatible with the Bootcamp chipset driver you had installed.

As an FYI Microsoft is intending to release another significant update to Windows 10 on Tuesday. This is the Anniversary Update edition (which comes four days after Windows 10's actual anniversary date which was yesterday...no more free upgrades to Windows 10 folks). You may want to hold off on reinstalling anything until then. Save you some time.

Edit: I think this is the explanation to your issue:

The test mode message indicates that the test signing mode of the operating system is started on the computer. The test signing mode may start if an installed program is in a test phase because it uses drivers that are not digitally signed by Microsoft.​

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509241#bookmark-moreinfo

This appears to support your diagnosis of the problem.

Last edited:

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013

Fix Below:

Just noticed your thread and I'm glad up got it finished I actually upgraded my windows 7 to Windows 10 before the free upgrade e pored and I had another issue that prevented the upgrade. I couldn't upgrade because it would hang at downloading updates no matter what so, I took a different route to solve the issue on my Mac Pro.

1) downloaded the windows 7 support software but didn't use boot camp for anything else.
2) I removed all hard drives except for my windows drive
3) I reinstalled windows 7
4) installed the window 7 boot camp software for Internet access
5) clicked the free windows 10 upgrade but this time I choose the download and burn windows 10 upgrade option.
6) I upgraded to windows 10 and used a program to get the cd-key
7) reinstalled my Mac hard drive
8) used boot camp with the windows 10 disc to get the boot support support software only.
9) pulled out the OSX heard drive
10) booted the windows 10 disc, used key and no finished install
11) installed Windows 10 bootcamp support software
12) put back my OSX drive then booted into windows and changed my boot drive back to osx.

Now I have fresh install of windows 10 on a separate SSD and OS X on the other and use the alt/option key to boot into Windows when I need it.

Now I'll just reburn the anniversary disc when it's available

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Just wanted to update this thread. After a month of dealing with this repeatedly the only solution was not installing bootcamp drivers. Using driver genius i was able to install drivers elsewhere and it's been completely stable now for about 2 weeks. I used to get random BSOD's no matter how i installed the OS. I had reinstalled it over 5 times previously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.