bt keyboard and USB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by unc32, Sep 16, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Does anybody know if the new BT keyboard has a USB port? It would be great to connect my mouse to the keyboard rather than purchasing two options. See what I am saying?

2. macrumors 68020

srobert

It has none. Partly because batteries would drain too quickly for feeding 2 devices and also I don't think s single bluetooth emitter in the keyboard could transmit signal for both mouse and keyboard.

I have shecked the tech specs and there is no mention of USB ports.

3. macrumors G3

Re: bt keyboard and USB

The bluetooth keybord does not have a USB port.

A bluetooth device does not use the same communications protocol as a USB device. Nor would they use the same device drivers.

In conclusion, don't expect to see amy bluetooth keyboards with usb ports in them.

4. macrumors 68020

Re: bt keyboard and USB

I thought that would be neat too, but alas it doesn't look that's possible.

5. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah i think USB can draw a max of 5v so ... that would quickly drain the battery...especially with the optics and stuff

6. macrumors 604

iJon

just plug it into the computer, problem solved.

iJon

7. acj
    macrumors 6502

Volts are different than power. But point taken, most USB devices, like an optical mouse, would drain the batteries fast.

BTW, I think Apple has the best wireless keyboard around. It is actually small.

8. macrumors regular

RubberChicken

I'm just happy to see the BT mouse, as the STD one is just the right height to keep biting it's own tail. But I'd be a whole lot happier if it would actually work with old DLink USB adaptor... AU$120 mouse + AU$90 for new adaptor... whoa! I'd like to see the option of swapping standard keyboard or mouse for bluetooth ones in new orders, thereby just paying the AU$30 diffrerence tween STD and BT (trying to justify purchase to boss).