BT Mighty Mouse and battery consumption

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thomasp, Mar 27, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I have a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse and have had it for 3 months (Christmas present). Last week, I noticed one bar had disappeared in the mouse battery life window in System Prefs - "wow" I thought "only lost 20% charge in just under 3 months".

However, yesterday, I got a "Low Battery" warning and noticed that only two bars were remaining. A couple of hours later I got a "Critical battery level" warning and only one bar remaining.

I don't use my mouse all that much - probably at most 6 hours per day (in short-ish intervals, turning it off in between) and I can't remember accidentally leaving it on. I'm using it with the two original AA batteries it shipped with.

Is this normal battery consumption? I find it strange that from "Low battery" to "critical battery" would be a couple of hours and that it would suddenly lose almost 50% of its charge in a week.

Do these mice eat AA batteries? Is it a good idea to get some rechargeables to use instead?

Cheers for the help :)

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You got 3 months out of it? That sounds about right. I typically don't get too much more than that with my BT MM. I use the Energizer Lithium or Energizer Titanium batteries and hardly ever turn the mouse off (unless I need to resync the mouse for some reason), and I typically get about 2-3 months out of them.

I get more life out of my BT Keyboard, but it doesn't have to send nearly as much data to the PB as my mouse does.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

It just seems strange to me how quickly the battery charge dropped off - within a week I've gone from 80% to 20% (assuming the "bars" in System Prefs are equally sized)

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

With regards to using rechargable batteries in the BTMM, what value of mAh (Amp-hours) should I be looking for? Will 2200 mAh suffice, or is it better to go for 2500 or 2800?