Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
This may well be the single most annoying problem I have ever experienced on a computer, ever.

I dropped my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse from about 30cm onto a soft carpet, but it suddenly lost connection to the mac, and now, is causing me insane problems.

If I place it on a surface and click it, to reactivate it, Mac OS X will recognise it, connect it and the mouse will function perfectly. However, if I lift the mouse even a milimetre of the surface, it will instantly die and OS X will greet my with a big fat "Connection Lost" sign.

If it place it back on the surface, click it to reactivate it, wait a few seconds, it will resume working again.

I assume this has something to do with connections inside the mouse, so that when I lift it, it breaks those connections and ceases to communicate with the mac. As it ceases to communite entirely, I assume then that the connection we are talking about is probably the power supply.

Multiple battery replacements do nothing.

I'm at my wits end. It's not particularly easy to draw vector art or play Tomb Raider Legends with a freaking trackpad.

EDIT: I've also just deduced it's only when pressure is removed from the FRONT of the mouse, not at the back - so, toward where the sensor is, although by sliding it off the edge of a table and back I can tell that it's nothing to do with what the sensor is picking up itself.

EDIT 2: Chrisr alive, I finally fixed it. Turns out the tiny piece of metal bent over to protrude against the latch inside the mouse that, when the battery cover is removed, turns it off, had been crushed just so slightly that it no longer held that latch down when the gravitational pull of the mouse against a surface wasnt helping it. I bent it outward slightly and now it works fine.

I couldn't find a single mention of this happening anywhere online, so I'm assuming it's rare. Maybe it'll happen to someone else someday, and this thread will alleviate the mind-shattering annoyance that is to have your only mouse die on you.

kenrobin

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Problem Scrolling

I'm having problems with vertical scrolling. My BT Mighty Mouse will only scroll vertically in a upward direction. Downward scrolls don't work. I've tried updating the firmware to version 1.1 but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions? Should I reinstall using the disc that came with the mouse?

kenrobin

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm having problems with vertical scrolling. My BT Mighty Mouse will only scroll vertically in a upward direction. Downward scrolls don't work. I've tried updating the firmware to version 1.1 but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions? Should I reinstall using the disc that came with the mouse?

There's another thread on exactly this topic... apparently pressing hard while scrolling seems to fix the problem. No need to respond....

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I am now using BT Mighty Mouse with my MBP. No problem whatsoever. BT one is better than the wired one as I have both and tried them myself. If you lost the connection, maybe you can pull out the battery and let BT MT sit for a while (like 10 to 15 min) then put in the battery again and try to sync it up with your Mac.

moebiuscreative

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
I know this is years later, but I thought I would add that with the scroll wheel issue: sometimes it needs cleaning. I came across one at a worksite that I managed to get scrolling properly again by doing this.

Also, I had just dropped my MM last week and it kept losing the BT connection. The directions given in the original post here worked for me —*bending that metal strip every so slight outward.

lady whip

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
BT Might Mouse is dying..

Hi,

I have a BT Might Mouse that is two years old. I have had no problems with it.

Today it stopped working, and I can't figure out what is wrong. It has new batteries that have been checked to make sure they are good.

The little light that shows through the pinhole, that shows it is connecting, blinks intermittently with rthym when the bottom of the mouse is pressed that's all it will do.

Any help is appreciate. I have wired mouses I can use.. (someplace.. ) but love this bluetooth.

TFord

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
I am so glad I found this post. MacRumors users solve my problems again!

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I just bought one today and it won't scroll to the left. Very disappointed. All the mice in the Apple store didn't work properly either. How can they sell this? How can they have about 8 out on display and not one work properly. I hope they are working on a redesign.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
I just bought one today and it won't scroll to the left. Very disappointed. All the mice in the Apple store didn't work properly either. How can they sell this? How can they have about 8 out on display and not one work properly. I hope they are working on a redesign.
Don't worry.
Just go to an Apple Store's genius bar- and they will instantly replace it.
Mine has worked fine for the last year.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.