BT Mouse and Keyboard Battery Life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Etrain, May 4, 2005.

1. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

A quick question for those of you that have the Apple BT mouse and keyboard. How long do the batteries last in the BT items? I will probably be using the computer between 2-6 hours a day. When I am not using it I would turn the mouse and keyboard off.

Thanks. :D

2. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

I got my iMac in the beginning of February and I have yet to replace the batteries in my keyboard. The mouse batteries tend to die after about a month or 6 weeks and I keep the mouse switched on 24 hours a day (you can turn it off with a switch on the bottom). My only complaint is that the mouse is a little hefty with the batteries in it and takes a little getting used to.

rk

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've had my Apple BT Keyboard for eighteen months. I've replaced the batteries twice now. My usage averages about three hours a day. I never turn it off. Suffice it say, I've been very pleased with the battery life. Plus, in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane, it shows you the level of the batteries.

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

no you wont :p everybody thinks they're gonna turn their mouse and kb off when they arent using them, but they dont. it's true! :)

anyway, i agree with what rk said - the mouse is fairly heavy with the batteries - i find myself literally dragging it around instead of gently moving it.

the keyboard is excellent with batteries - the mouse isn't as good. as long as you put fresh batteries in the mouse, you'll be fine. dont go and steal some from the tv remote, because they'll last a couple of hours and then die.

im sure that's the case with most wireless mice tho: they are known battery hogs.

5. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

look into the kensington wireless studiomouse. it's USb. It gets like a week of battery life, but it comes with alittle dock charger.

It has 3 buttons and a touch scroll-pad.

I love it.

Also, with a wireless keyboard you are sacrificing USB inputs...

6. JonD macrumors member

I've had my BT keyboard since January and I've never replaced the batteries.

7. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I use the Apple BT Keyboard and mouse with no complaints about battery life whatsoever. I have 4 sets of spare batteries which I thought I would have used within a few months, but they're still there.

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

My BT keyboard has been on since October '04 when I got my iMac G5 and it's still running. System Preferences reads that it still has 2 out of 5 bars of power remaining. I never shut it off. I rarely use the mouse though.

9. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

not a BT hardware owner, but has anyone ever tried rechargable batteries?

10. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i've tried. They dont last as long as a fresh pack of batteries.

i find alkaline batteries are the best.

11. Sox macrumors regular

I've actually been pretty good about remembering to turn off my mouse and keyboard. I'm sure that will pass.

But the mouse isn't really that heavy. It's not like you're going to need to start a push-up regimen or anything.

12. iSteve Jobs macrumors newbie

For anyone who has ordered a bluetooth keyboard/mouse through apple...how many batteries does the mouse take? How many batteries does the keyboard take? And do they come shipped with a set of batteries or do I need to run to best buy and grab a pack before my computer arrives?

13. Danzsupreme macrumors member

Does anybody know if rechargable batteries NI H would work well in the mouse or would they die sooner