BT Phone for PB Modem..HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wheezy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I have a Motorola V600 BT phone and a PBook with Bluetooth. My service provider is TMobile. I've been trying off and on to get my PBook to use my cell phone as a modem to surf the net. I can connect it just fine for file swapping, iSync, etc, but I can't configure it correctly to use it as a modem...

Who's done this and what settings do I need to do both on the PBook and the phone?

2. dr_jones macrumors newbie

Wheezy,

I've been struggling with the exact same problem, ever since I installed Tiger on it. My provider is AT&T - now Cingular. Although it is Cingular, I still have to use AT&T settings to make my phone dial, authenticate and sign-in. The problem I have is although, I am connected, I am unable to browse any site. If I look at the "Summary" tab in the BT page, I see no bytes under "receive".

We will see if someone could help here.

In the meanwhile, let me know what help you need. First of all, make sure that you have data plan properly setup on your account.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Check out this page:

http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/

However, T-Mobile changed their policy at the beginning of the year. It used to be that you could use your cell as a modem with any level of T-Zones service, but now you need the mobile internet package to access port 80 (the standard http port).

4. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Thanks guys, I'll check this out ASAP. I've google'd this several times, but can never really get satisfactory help, and it finally dawned on me to ask the Mac community! Someone out there has it figured out.

I heard that if you did Unlimited TZones at like $4.99/month it'll work...

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That was what was true until January.... :(

6. dr_jones macrumors newbie

I've seen this liink already. Whats happening for me is none of the CID scripts work - they wont even connect. The only script that connects is Motorola Timeport 7089. This is the one AT&T guy asked me to use. According to ATT site they recommmend Null Modem. In both the case, it connects but doesnt let me browse. Also when the browser attempts to go to a site it automatically disconnects.

I am not sure where or what i am missing.....

7. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

so...it looks like I'm SOL on this cool technology that we're supposed to do? All the phone companies don't like it? What's their problem?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dunno...why do you say that? I guess it could be something to do with Motorola phones. My Nokia worked fine with the scripts until T-Mobile changed their features policy. It'd still work fine if I paid for the level of service that offers modem functionality.

In terms of the pricing, AFAIK, in the US market, T-Mobile was the only one that was nearly so generous in allowing modem access with their $3-5/mo. plans. I think the reason they don't do this is because when you do wireless web on your cell, your total transfer consumption is very, very low, but when you use it as a modem, your total transfer can quickly be a lot, lot more, because you are downloading pictures and so on, and none of the content was cell phone optimized.

9. dr_jones macrumors newbie

mkrishnan -

Do you (or) know someone who had success with AT&T GPRS access via apple laptops?

Thanks

Mahesh

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Personally? No. But the OP is using T-Mobile and all of my comments have been directed to the OP.

This person seems to have had success with AT&T and an S-E phone, but this was a while ago (Jaguar)....

http://www.technopsychology.com/t68/t68i_GPRS_Instructions.html

The scripts at the script repository seem to include some Motorola ones, but I know enough about neither AT&T nor Motorola to know if they're right for your phone :(

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/