BT Voyager and other USB modem nonsense

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by lurch pinhead, Jan 28, 2005.

1. lurch pinhead macrumors newbie

I have just got a new g4 powerbook running 10.3. I have previously been using g3 ibook with 10.2. Problem is with trying get connected to the internet with my USB modem.

I have a BT Voyager ADSL USB modem - simple enough I thought and went to the relevent site to download the installer. This was Herculean task in itself - finally downloaded via wife's pc and emailed as a .sit to my ibook. But once unpacked this .app won't run. I can change the extension and explore it as a folder and can see it is full of drivers and the like but don't know what to do with them...

Different strategy was to use Sagem modem - this failed as the Internet Connect .app on Panther seems to regard it as an ethernet connection thus fails to ask me for a telephone number as my 10.2 would...
    I would rather get the BT Voyager working as it doesn't support my wifes ancient windows 98 but the sagem does.

My troubles begin here:

http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb/downloads.htm

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd seriously consider going out and buying a new ethernet modem.

I had one of those modems (and it did work on Win 98 SE at one point). When I got my Powerbook, I installed the drivers (like you transferring the sit file from the PC) and I did manage to get it working. I seem to recall having to turn off Bluetooth during installation although I have no idea why!

The bad thing was that it made OS X very unstable and I had frequent kernel panics when the Mac woke from sleep or trouble 'connecting' to the modem if the Mac had been sleeping.

An ethernet modem isn't too expensive, gives you a better connection with fewer dropouts and can be 'always on' so that as soon as your PB wakes, it will be connected.

3. brap macrumors 68000

This is a better "Always on" internet solution... for your Airport Extreme enabled Powerbook... works with BT broadband, too, cause I have one ;)

4. lurch pinhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise about upgrading but I'm not particularly solvent at the mo...new mac etc.
    I wondered if someone can get the bt voyagerinstaller .app to open or run?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

RTFM

On that same page as the link you provided was the guide.

Go back to the original .sit file you downloaded and follow the instructions here... http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb/macosx_install.htm

Seemed to start working OK for me on OS 10.3.4... just double-click it.

BTW: You don't need to change an apps extension to see what's inside.
    Just control-click on the .app, you'll get a pop-up menu. About half-way down that menu, it will say 'Show Package Contents'... best not to mess with those contents though...

6. Gee macrumors 65816

When you have some spare cash, I can recommend the Zoom X3 ethernet modem - 50 quid from Dabs. I've had one for two years and it's been on and working pretty much the whole time.