BTO Apple Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Grimace, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I remember a big complaint in past months about Apple not providing the option for users to choose whether to ship desktops with a wireless keyboard & mouse instead of the standard wired versions. Something about the fact that the user needed the wired versions to setup the Bluetooth.

Apple now has this as a G5 (only) BTO option. What changed? I would have thought that this would garner some lively discussion. Did I miss something? :confused:

2. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Yeah it's been in the dark... I changed my order once I found out, saving $100. Really happy that I'll have wireless keyboard and mouse... FROM APPLE! It is also available for the eMac too... And maybe nobody has really noticed that so good you started a discussion! :D

3. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

hmmm.....I checked the iMac and it wasn't an option - I didn't even consider the eMac would have it if the iMac didn't. What gives? Maybe it will be an option with the expected update to the iMac at WWDC. [please don't turn this into a G5 or headless iMac thread...]

This was one little tiny detail that was keeping me from buying a new G5. I hated the idea of getting the stock keyboard and mouse, selling both on Ebay, and then buying the Bluetooth versions. This saves a lot of hassle.

4. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I don't get this even with the latest firmware you still need USB versions to use in single user mode or to select options once you have started up from CD. Even just trying to hold down the 'c' key at startup on the BT keyboard can be hit and miss. I keep my wired units out of site but with in reach.
    So this must mean then either new firmware, you get USB versions as well (I doubt this very much) or apple simply don't expect you to have to startup using them :(
    Maybe the emacs and the latest G5's (both of which are the newest apple models I believe) use different BT modules and interact differently with the OS?

5. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Is there a way to connect the Bluetooth keyboard via USB cable if the signal isn't working? I would think that the best option would be to have it work both ways...but Apple never asked me. :p

6. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob