BTO in Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MoparShaha, Oct 30, 2003.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Next week I'm going to buy a 12" PowerBook. I want it "built to order" with the 80 gig hard drive. Can you BTO at an Apple retail store, or can you only do that through their online store?
  2. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    i believe ya can order it through them and you can pick it up there when it is ready, iirc.
  3. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    You have to do it through the online store. The only option they can do is memory, which would be an additional installation charge anyway.

If you were to go to a retail store, they'd either tell you to go home and do it, or help you do it from one of the computers there.
  4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    The only true built to order (BTO) machines are ones where you hand pick every component that goes into your computer, Mac,DELL,HP,Gateway and other vendors can't do this for you. Only 3rd party computer retailes can, and that's where I buy my parts from.
  5. aphexist macrumors member

Aug 29, 2003
    NO! You are not a tru playa.

The only TRUE built to odor (BTOdor) machines are ones where you design every component in your machine, actually build that component from raw materials and the software that will run it, and then install and test it. Until you do this, you cannot be a true Computer Geek, glasshoppa...