Buddy/Ignore buttons in my OWN profile???

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by wrldwzrd89, Dec 27, 2004.

1. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

What's the point of the buddy/ignore buttons appearing if I look at my own profile? Surely adding myself as a buddy is pointless, and ignoring myself might actually be dangerous, as I couldn't see my own posts :eek:

2. macrumors Core

the only thing i could think of is so YOU cant see your own post, so that in a thead where you have a lot of posts you dont have to scroll through them all

but thats not the smartest thing anyways so its a feeble attempt for a reason

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Even with the ignore on, you still know they are posting.

It's much better when you cannot see them at all, there's at least one user I cannot see anything on at all (that is still posting) -- and it's so nice not to see any of his posts, the ignore post flag, or even a hint in the pages source that the member is still posting.

Edit: of course the ignore self feature would work quite well if you think your own posts, or signature, are annoying.

4. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I've never messed around with the ignore feature (or the buddy feature for that matter) so I didn't know that. Thanks for the information Sun Baked; I'm still utterly baffled by this though. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than laziness by the maintainers of the software this forum uses.

5. Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

When I created a forum for one of my own sites I assumed that removing the links from your own posts/profile would be a good idea, however some people assumed that because the links weren't there for them, they weren't there for everyone else as well. Instead, I added the links in but added an error message when you clicked it, which appears to be what vBulletin does as well.

6. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

That explains it then. Thanks Knox!