Budget Powermac (Refurbished)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mak, Jul 6, 2005.

1. mak macrumors member

Hi,

I have been a mac user since Feb 05 and opted to purchase a mac mini in order to get a better idea on how the platform worked. I have been so pleased that I prefer to use osx over windows xp on a daily basis for many of my tasks.

The mac mini was quite fast as i upped the ram to 1gb but I feel my needs have changed and I need a faster computer.

I am starting a new job in the autumn. I will be given the chance to use photoshop and macromedia fireworks on a daily basis day-in-day-out. In my spare time I will be working on audio and video work for home videos created. I will also work on editing 5 mega-pix photographs, create websites and various other multimedia related work.

The software is cross-platform which is making the decision to buy a faster computer that much more difficult. I have had a look at the new 'amd x2 dual-core' chips which seem to blast through multimedia work 'but' i am forced to use windows. i know windows isn't all that bad but osx is just so much more stable. The amd x2 systems are around £1300 for a good set-up.

I have looked at the powermac lineup and the refurbished systems seem to be in my price range. i do not really want to blow silly money as i want to purchase other things such as a graphics tablet.

The 'intel' switch is doing my head in as i do not want to be stuck using a mac mini for the next two years but at the same time i do not want a defunct and outdated ppc platform computer.

The following are immediately in my price range.

Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200 (refurb - old version) for £1115

Power Mac G5 DUAL 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 80G/ SuperDrive/ PCI/ GeFr5200/ GigE (refurb - old version) for £944

Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ 16x SuperDrive (brand new version) for £1250 ish education d/c

any major difference between older 8x SuperDrive with the newer 16x SuperDrive? also old dual 2.0 seems to have upto 8 gb ram capacity.

I could save and save for a dual 2.3/2.7 but that doesn't leave me with much to spend on ram / graphics products. it also means that an intel powermac would be all the much harder to buy as the 2.3/2.7 would/should be able to cope with my needs?

can anyone please help? what should i purchase? should i wait? should i get an amd x2 system to pass the time lol?

so many questions but hopefully you can all help.

thanks in advance

- :) London 2012 :) -

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Firstly, don't worry about the Intel switch. You have no idea how much it just doesn't change things.

You should be fine with any one of those G5s but I recommend at least 1GB of RAM.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would be smart to hold off on a Rev. A Intel Mac. The Rev. B should be bug free and more stable. So I would recommend purchasing the best that you can afford. The PPC should still be supported for at least five years after the Intel Power Mac is released. I would recommend at least 1 GB of RAM and AppleCare.

4. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

I faced a similar choice (adding in the 20" iMac), went with a new Dual 2GHz through the student program. (Space for) 4GB of RAM should be more than I'll need, PCI-X looked unimportant since I'm not doing video work and it came with a better stock graphics card (though I sprang for a X850 anyway) and I could order with the first HD bump (160 to 250), Bluetooth and Airport Extreme.

Apples hold their value well enough that it should provide a good chunk of the cash for any future upgrading I do (Rev. B Mactels circa 2007?).

5. gabriel_uk macrumors regular

I agree wholeheartedley with the previous 3 comments.

I would definitely go for the Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200 (refurb - old version) for £1115. Because 80G is too small, and the older 2GHz G5 has double the number of RAM slots. That's more important - I think? - than the Dual Layer SuperDrive.

Forget about MacIntel until 2010 - two whole years before we host the Olympics! Hip hip hooray! :D

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

7. gabriel_uk macrumors regular

Sure thing - if you put me up some time for one of those Tribeca Film gigs! :D :p