Budget protection for 12" pb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by C-Mezak, Jul 18, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

I am just full of questions tonight. Hope Im not offending anybody.

I have a new 12" powerbook coming and I expect to just barely be able to pay for it. Im about to leave my job and dive into college life where my income will certainly be modest (or non-existant). But of course I want to keep my investment safe. Any suggestions? What do you consider essential in terms of protective accessories?

My current plan is to buy a nice sleeve that I can toss into any old bag so as not to broadcast the presence of an expensive computer to theives. And of course this option will be cheaper than buying a whole fancy backpack or messenger bag. Any thoughts there?

Also, it seems that keyboard grime has been damaging many people's lcd screens. RadTech seems to have a nice product for avoiding that, so I will probably pick one of those up if I can afford it.

Anyway, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody

Charlie

2. Ari_0 macrumors regular

I would say you're good to go there mate. When I had the Sony Vaio complete with Backpack, whenever i was on a busy train, the backpack would always be molested or sometimes even opened. Mainly cus of the stupid big "Vaio" letters on the backpack.

So yeah, since The PB 12" is relative to the size of A4, get a snug sleeve wrapped around it.

There is also a product called a screensaver (a peice of special cloth which can be put on the keyboard and also perfect for wiping the screen) which would be ideal. Dont worry about the recommended clips and such. Get those two and bob's your uncle :D

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't have the thread URL's handy, but there have been a number of mentions in this forum of insurance policies to cover accidental breakage (in addition to AppleCare - which I recommend you buy [anytime within the first year] - which only covers warranty work).

Such a policy might be too expensive initially, but, depending on cost, might be a very worthwhile (once you can manage to pay for it) investment to protect something you can't afford to replace. Perhaps, with a high enough deductible, you could afford a policy to cover really major items - like LCD panel breakage.

In any event, best of luck with your path back into education!

Edit:

Saw a recommendation for http://www.safeware.com/, but I can't confirm that they are or are not reputable. Ask the company who is currently insuring your home/car/etc.