Buffalo wireless access point

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jon'sLightBulbs, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Anyone have experience, good or bad, with a Buffalo "ethernet converter?" I'm in what seems to be a pretty common predicament among dual core G5 owners. Unlike the old Powermacs, in the dual cores the airport card is not user installable without fussing with wires and adding antenaes. Not a pretty proposition, unless you got a BTO with airport and BT built in. For the rest of us...

Enter the Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter. With this puppy I'll be able to connect my dual core to my existing wireless network through the tower's ethernet port. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162168

I'd also love any other ideas.

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

You can do exactly the same thing with airport express. It's how I get my PS2 online. And you can transmit audio and extend the range of an existing airport network at the same time. It just depends whether you want to pay the premium for the apple branded product I guess.

3. Digitalflick macrumors regular

I own two of them.. the one in my room connects to a mac mini, a windows box, and my ps2. A little tricky to configure on the mac at first, set it up through a web browser. Works like a champ, strong signal through 2 rooms with doors closed.

4. Jon'sLightBulbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

On that information, I just ordered one for myself. Thanks :) What quirks did you encounter with setup?

5. Digitalflick macrumors regular

In order to access the bridge via safari, you change your ip address to something like 1.1.1.2 then change it back to dhcp after you configure the bridge. I just had a hard time understanding the instructions at first, and being new to wireless getting the right settings for security.