buffer underrun burning dvd's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JonD25, Mar 28, 2006.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

I've wasted 4 dvds trying to burn a backup of some files. It was about 5+GB so I zipped it and it's now 4.4GB. But when I go to burn it in Toast 6, I've gotten buffer underrun errors 4 times in a row. What the heck? Could it be Toast not working well under Rosetta? Or am I just having bad luck with these dvds? (they're Verbatim DVD+R)

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

What burn speed are you using and what's the burn speed of the dvd? Also you said it's 4.4GB total for your file right? Buffer underrun set as well?

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, forgot to include that. The discs are 16x. The first time, I burned under "Best" speed. Then I burned under 4x. The last couple of times, I burned at 2x. Every time, the same result. I get the buffer underrun all at almost the exact same time in the file near the end. The file is 4.38GB to be exact. And Toast won't let me turn the buffer underrun prevention on when I burn DVD's.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

How did you compress this if I may ask to make it 4.38GB? If you can try to compress it a tad smaller 4.3GB as the edge of the disc might be in question. I use the same brand but I go with the -R, just what I like. I just uninstalled Toast 6 from my Intel iMac yesterday or I could play around with it but try burning at 8x...better yet did you try playing one of those discs even after the error to see what the end of the movie looks like?

5. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not a movie. They're some Pro Tools session files. I'm backing them up and also give them to the artist I recorded. To compress them, I just right clicked and went to "Archive..." The file was actually around 4.7GB until I went and deleted some stuff in it to get it down that much. I'm not sure how much more I can find to delete.

If I try and put the disc and and open the file, it'll show up and I can pull it off the disc. But when it unzips it, it basically gets to a certain point and stops. Or sometimes it won't even unzip at all. In Disk Utility, if I verify the disk, it gives me errors and says it needs to be repaired.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I sent a pm for another answer but to make sure you get this, you may have to use a DL disc and not go the way of what you are doing by using the right click. This way you can keep all the info on it...wish I didn't uninstall it, I'll see if I can reinstall Toast in the am and help out more unless someone else has some ideas.
    Try using -R and see what happens but I think it's with the files your trying to put onto disc.

7. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the thing is, I've done this before with these same discs and it worked fine, so it can't be the disc that's the problem. A DL would work, but 1) I already bought 50 single layer DVD+R's. And 2) I don't always need over 4.7GB of space, so it would be a waste to buy them. I suppose I can split it up so that I use a CD-R to get the rest of what doesn't fit, but they aren't actually my CD-R's and I would have to borrow one from a friend. I guess I'm just looking to see if there's a solution for me to get it all on one single layer disc. I don't see why it's advertised as 4.7GB if it really only fits 4.3GB. Oh well. Is there another way to archive it so that it's more compact?

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

To be honest it sounds like a media issue. I've bought a 100pk before and the first 25 I've used only 5 worked :eek: So with that said maybe try it with a different brand, grab a disc from the bottom and try or last redo the process again and see if it was a small hickup by some chance.
    Yeah it's really 4.4GB but it has 4.7GB on the package/dvd. Same theory as the HDDs have with formatting :rolleyes:

9. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, for one, I was running Toast 6.0, so I upgraded to 6.1 and now I have buffer underrun prevention. But then when I tried to burn it, it said there wasn't enough room on the disc. I'm assuming this was my problem all along, but Toast 6.0 didn't tell me before burning. I found a few tracks I didn't need and deleted them, putting it under 4GB compressed and it worked fine. Thanks for all the help.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

You know it's always something not asked ;) Glad it works now for you :)