Buffing out scratch on screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danielem, Dec 10, 2006.

1. danielem macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2006
    My powerbook has a small scratch on the center of the screen. It drives me nuts knowing that it's there, even though it's hardly noticable. Anyway, I called apple hoping that they would consider fixing the damage since I have the APP package. Unfortunately, the plan doesn't cover any kind of wear and tear. They gave me an estimate price to fix the damages; $200-300. Does anyone know of another alternative? Perhaps I could buff it out myself?
  2. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Depend on how bad is the scratch is, do you have picture showing the scratch?
  3. danielem thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2006
    My camera is out for repair. So I wouldn't be able to take one for a while. The scratch, however, is very small. possibly about 2 mm long. It's hardly visible, but I see it because I know that it's there.
  4. coastertux macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    I wouldn't try buffing it out myself for the reason that the coatings on LCDs are very thin. If you try to buff it out, you will probably remove the coating in that area making it look even worse. So I think your options are to live with it or pay the money to get it fixed.
  5. Digitaljim macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2006
    Edinburgh, UK
    Just live with it is my advice.

Use the money you saved on th repair to buy a new iPod or something and take your mind off it :)
  6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    I concur with the advice that you should leave it alone, especially if it's hardly noticeable. I had a rather significant blemish on the screen of my iPod and buffed it out as best I could, only because it was definitely noticeable. However, during the process of careful buffing, another blemish was left in its place, albeit far less noticeable. I suspect you'll be even more bothered if you tried to buff it out. Live with it or spend the few hundred dollars, I say.
  7. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Agreed. I not only failed to massage a pixel back to life, but left another mark on the screen instead.