Buffing scratches off the front of a nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MmmPancakes, Sep 16, 2005.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I have a black Nano. Unfortunately because there are no cases, I'm having difficulty protecting it. The front (especially the screen!) has developed a couple scratches. Nothing too severe, but very distracting, especially if you're looking at pictures.

Any ideas on products that have workeed in buffing out scratches?

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

There are sleeves out there for the Nano, you can google for them. I wouldn't even bother buffing out scratches without a sleeve since you'll only get more in the future. Especially don't try to buff over the display, or you'll make it even worse.

3. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Use Novus it works wonders. Google search it. will refinish the plastic so it looks new.

4. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I did but virtually all won't ship until Oct.

5. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I'm sure you can get something at circuit city or whatever your local electronics store is....You don't have to rely on apple. Just froogle nano sleeves....It's hard to believe that not one store has any supply of nano protection..

6. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

The nano attracts scratches like none other man. I babied mine and it's got a bunch of huge scratches all over the screen and the back of course.

You're best off just not using it until cases come out if you care about such things.

7. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

sob.

8. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Don't cry.

Seriously though, it's just going to get more scratches the more you use it unless it's in an impermeable protective case. The nano is turning out to be the most scratch-prone iPod thus far (just go to the Apple discussion forums on Apple's support page and look for scratch threads) and its inevitable yours is going to get nicked up too even if you're careful.

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

The blacks scratch as easily as they switch on. I am almost at the point of being convinced that they get their first scratches simply be peeling off the protective strip.

At least on the whites you can't see them as easily.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

OK, guys, Apple released it a week ago-- how exactly were 3rd party manufacturers supposed to have a product on shelves by today?? Maybe there's a similar case that will WORK, but i assure you, it won't be on the shelves today...

11. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

iPod socks work great. I've been using one since I got my Nano.

Edit: And not one single scratch!

12. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I guess we just have to get to the point that we don't care about a couple nicks and bruises. Sadly, the joy of a brand new iPod is always fleeting as you learn that they actually do receive wear and tear.

13. jer446 macrumors 6502a

why doesnt everyone just cut out of one the pda protectors for the front and back, and then cut out a hole for the click wheel, that way it looks exactly the same..

14. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I was thinking about doing that for my Nano.

15. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Not we, you have to get over it. From past experience it should take anywhere from a few weeks to a month or two to get over an iPod scratch. :p

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Decalgirl.com is selling skins for the nano already. I'm not sure they are actually shipping, but they seem to SAY they are... But with as sturdy as the nano seems to be, it's just scratching you have to worry about, which a skin should take care of. Too bad they are all kinda fugly! At least they have a scren plastic screen protector things for pretty cheap!

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've nothing constructive to add, but when I read the thread title, I thought "scratches" was the verb, i.e. you were saying that buffing the nano scratches off the front. I was shocked for a moment.

18. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I remember when I first got my 40 gig ipod I kept it in a real sock of mine until I could get an iskin case. Ah, I got some weird looks at the gym.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It's possible (though it currently seems doubtful) that Apple released the specs of the new nanos a little while ago to select sleeve manufacturers, who'd already signed NDAs, in order to give them a head start.

20. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I don't think they would. Apple wants to maximize their own profit, not 3rd parties. The nano tubes were released w/ the nanos. If there's only one choice, people are going to have to wait or buy the one.

21. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

But the nano tubes WEREN'T released with the nano. They had a 4-5 week lead time on day one.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man, it must be my age. But I have learned that you can't keep things "new" forever. I just wonder how some posters have dealt with scrapes and dings on their "new" cars.

23. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

That's exactly the conclusion i have come to, the black Nano is there to be used so use it, a case will make it bulky so it doesnt interest me, i love the fact its so small and thin........Sure i've only had my black nano for a few days and its got some hairline scratches, but i dont care because it still looks stunning and the scratches can only be seen under direct light, So long as you treat your nano well and don't do stupid things like put it in a pocket with coins or keys then it should stay in good condition....

Just my 2 cents,

ShadOW

24. DoggyDaddy macrumors newbie