bug bites (namely horseflies)

Discussion in 'Community' started by iBlue, Aug 8, 2005.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i am finding lousy info out there and although this is pretty off topic, i've found that this place is full of brilliant people who know a bit about everything.
    need some help...

my mother called me and wanted me to get some info about these nasty horseflies they are finding at Lake Mead in Nevada. she is a long time los angeles resident but frequently goes to lake mead recreationally on the weekends. recently the place seems to be infested with really aggressive biting horseflies. they even follow after the boat and won't go away. i guess the bites hurt pretty bad and leave a horrible welt. it freaked her out because apparently there is some species of this insect that actually leaves larvae under the skin (?) [gross]

from her description it looks like this (black, large, with a while circle [the size of a hole punch dropping] on its back) pic

normally seems i am pretty good with searching the net and getting good answers, this isn't proving so easy. i am relatively freaked out by bugs and admittedly don't know a lot about them in general. with this broad group, i figured (hoped) someone would. :)

any info will help i'm sure but mostly i was curious about treatments and what can be done to prevent their biting. i imagine if she actually asked me she is at her wits end and nothing they've tried helps. clearly swatting them away isn't doing the trick, and regular bug spray is pointless too.

thanks

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Unfortunetly their isn't a whole lot you can do to keep them off you, except keep moving. They are pretty lazy and if you keep moving they will leave you alone. I live in Maine and we get tons of those little guys, that and Moose flies, smaller fly, worse bite though. Anyway, as for treating a bite, just a little rubbing alcohol goes a long ways. It will not only clean it, but keep it from itching as much. The only preventative I can think of is eating garlic, the flies don't like the smell of it and it comes out on your skin when you sweat. It's not something I've tried, but from what I understand it works well.

3. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

thank you - don't know if they tried alcohol. i know they've used benadryl on the bites after the bite.

they are VERY aggressive though, they chase the moving boat to keep up and attack them; they will not go away if you ignore them or if you try to swat them away. freaky.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Agreed...DEET is the most powerful spray out there. And tell her to avoid perfumes, other lotions, hair spray, etc.

6. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

DEET? really? i thought she tried bug spray and i guess i just assume most of them have DEET in them [shrugs] guess i'll ask her to check the contents of her bug spray.
    a camping website described DEET as "A1 for the horseflies" :D but perhaps they were just being cheeky. i don't know.

i sure appreciate the input, my mother seldom ever compains, the fact that she did leads me to believe it's pretty bad.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't think rubbing alcohol is the best idea only because it will tend to dry out wounds (which an open bug bite could be considered as one, I guess) and the dried business makes it itch more.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

also, a combination of eucalyptus oil and _____ (can't remember what, off the top of my head) was listed as *more* effective and much less harmful than deet in a recent CDC study... i'll try to find the link...

9. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

thanks so much everyone, i really appreciate it!

i've heard (through searching) that preventative measures include: citronella, eucalyptus or lavender oils (diluted with almond oil [?] i think) and also heard thigns about NEEM (not sure what neem is but i've heard it mentioned)
    what do you all think of that? sounds good but i just don't know for sure.

and that is not a bad thought there about the rubbing alcohol (isopropanol - aka: isopropyl alcohol) it is very drying and could increase itch. hmmm... perhaps as a disinfectant before applying the benadryl cream.
    i also wonder if "tea tree oil" (melalluca oil) would be an effective treatment [ponders it]

thank you all very much for the help and recommendations, and for helping me brainstorm :)

10. CompUser Guest

Ughh at my old house whenever I tried to go swimming there were are always 3-5 of them flying around and they go right to you. Then they bite your back and you smack them, but never hard enough because they flop into the water and fly away and come back and try to bite you.

I have found no solution of getting rid of them. Come to think of it if your not swimming (in chlorinated water) they won't bite you such as when I'm mowing the lawn.