Bug watch - G5 Internet disabled - AGAIN!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlBDamned, May 9, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hi all,

an ugy problem has reared its head AGAIN!!

My internet settings have crapped out once more for no reason on my 1.8DP G5.

Does anyone know or has anyone ever heard of a script, bug, whatever, that temporarily disables the computer's ability to see beyond its local network (ie, the computers on that sub-net and no further) without any prompting?

My problem is machine specific. DNS, Ethernet, IP etc. settings have all been double checked and are correct. I've run repairs, scripts, etc. No joy. Both other sub-net macs are fine.

Last time this happened, I was helpless for two days and then it fixed itself with no clue as to why....

Anyone, please...?!!

2. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Cycle Modem

This happened to me a couple of times - once I waited like 24 hours thinking it was my provider....

Try cycling your modem (unplug or reset button) - but the last two times I just hit power button - even though the lights were on this solved the problem instantly.... go figure.

it may or may not be the same problem - but the modem power button was a quick instant fix.

Hope this helps

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ahh I wish it would be that simple!! Have re-booted it a couple of times and re-booted the actual machine a few times but it's just stuck. It intermittently sees one other mac on the wider network, but whenever I've tried to connect to it it just beach balls.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Have you replaced the ethernet cable? Have you moved to another jack (in case the jackl you are using is faulty, or the port in the router card is faulty)? Don't be so quick to point the finger at the Mac until you're 100% sure the problem is there.

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I'm 95% sure it's the Mac. Have swapped over ports and they're fine, have swapped over cables and these too are fine. The other two Macs on the sub-net work with both cables and ports.

We're going to try a direct link to the main server with a 30 metre RJ11 cable and bypass the sub-net. If it can't see anything like this, it's a 100% unit problem.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sounds like you're on the right track then.. Have you reinstalled the OS? If so, then you're down to a hardware problem, which means a trip to your local Apple Service Provider.

7. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I haven't re-installed the OS as I was hoping to avoid this due to the sheer effort. However, it may be the way to go. I did a full hardware test the last time it happened and all was well (as it should be for a machine not even 3 months Old).

Installing the OS could work but I reckon I'd want to format the HD too and just start again with a clean slate.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No need to reformat.. an Archive & Install will give you the same deal (provided you DON'T preserve Users and Networking).

However, if you have one available, you might want to put another SATA drive in there, or use an external FW drive and install OS X on that. That would take you one step closer to finalizing the software/hardware debate.

9. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

OK.

We've connected my Mac straight up the side of the building and into the main server direct and we have ignition.

So, if the other two macs on my sub-net worked, even with swapping cables and ports, this could mean it's an intermittent compatibility problem with the router which is a Farrallon Streamline Starligh /8. although it could be something else completely. I don't know. I'm happy that its working, but I want to get to the bottom of the problem!