Bugatti to release Veyron... in Sept 2005

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Nov 16, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

hmmmmm... the Veyron to be released, now where have I heard that before?? :rolleyes: :p

pretty awesome specs though...

8 litre
    W16
    4 Turbochargers
    987bhp (1001 DIN hp)
    0-60 in 2.9 seconds
    252 mph
    4WD

I wonder if you'll actually be able to drive it over 200mph?? the last thing I read about the Veyron (apart from it being massively unstable at speed) was that if you plan on doing 200mph+ you need to call Bugatti, they send out a man with a set of special tyres and wheels (to cope with the high speeds) and fit them for you... that's all it said, so whether these wheels/tyres are road legal or not is a big question mark?

Rinky dink link

Thoughts? anyone buying one?? :p

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ah, iGAV, i always enjoy your Rinky Dinky Links. :D

well, i can't say that i'm planning on buying one... :p

but i still can't wait to see them release it, just to see it on Top Gear getting thrashed around the track. :D

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Might appeal to those who want an accessory for a U2 iPod.

4. Jaz macrumors regular

And in other news, Bugatti sign with the same advertising firm used by software developer, 3D Realms.

Bugatti exec says "we see a lot of synergy between the Veyron and Duke Nukem Forever. It made sense to go with an ad firm experienced in handling this sort of campaign."

If the Veyron makes it out it will be an engineering feat. Here's a fun article all about the car from How Stuff Works:
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bugatti.htm

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I want to see this with the McLaren F1 on Top Gear at the end of next year :cool: :D

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

in a straightline or around the track??

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Both! :D

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

It's be interesting that's for sure... the Veyron will murder it in a straightline, and probably will around a track as well... it'll be more interesting to see whether it can take the Enzo around a track, that's the current daddy not the Mac F1 ;)

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I thought the F1 was still had the highest top speed?

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Nope... the Koenigsegg is faster. ;)

The Veyron will murder any other previous production car in a straightline, that is beyond a doubt, however whether it'll be fastest around a race track is a more pertinent question.

Top speed is in a way irrelevant though, (the McLaren F1 car is faster in a straightline than the actual F1 car, but which do you consider faster??) it's really not at all difficult to make a car go fast in a straighline, and cars such as the Enzo and the Carrera GT sacrificed McLaren beating top speed to focus on more important area's such as cornering and braking, and as such a McLaren F1 wouldn't get within 2 seconds a lap of the Enzo IMHO.

The Koenigsegg even though it accelerates as hard as the Enzo and McLaren and has a higher top speed than both, is also something like 4-5 seconds a lap slower than an Enzo and that's over a relatively short, undemanding track.

The only thing in terms of power that is likely going to compete with the Veyron is the new Koenigsegg CCR which puts out 806bhp but will that extra 151bhp be enough to close the 4-5 seconds a lap difference to the Enzo?? I don't think it will, and I'm not so sure that the Veyron will be any faster either in anything other than a straight line.

http://www.koenigsegg.com/

11. andym172 macrumors 6502

IIRC the Koenigsegg still hasn't been officially tested and stated to be faster than the Macca, which, without doubt, is still the daddy.

Enzo schmemzo - current flavour, yes, but all time greatest? No...

It's not difficult to make a car go faster at relatively low speeds (anything below 150mph) but thereafter becomes a lot more difficult, especially at 200mph+
    I don't know whether you had chance to read Jeff Daniels' piece in Evo magazine last month?

The Koenigsegg was so 'off' the pace due to the TG track being a relatively short track with few long straights (afterall, it was developed by the Lotus lads and is probably more suited to an Elise type car...). I wouldn't mind knowing its time around the 'Ring.
    Whether it would finish the lap without breaking down is another thing...

The Veyron is supposedly going to be ridiculously heavy - I'd bet that it's not going to be the quickest of cars around pretty much any track other than one with extremely long straights (and braking zones :D).

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Meh. It looks like a Smart on steroids.

Don't you know topspeed is the new dicksize? Everyone says it doesn't matter when they're staring at your taillights... :p

Then it gets really important when you've got the biggest d*ck on the block.

Anywhere over 200mph is fantasy land, you need a clean track cos one bad camber and it's all over. (as in: All over the armco...)

If you're going to buy a £700,000 car, it'd better be beautiful too.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What, no bitching about lazy engineering iGav? I bet BMW could get well over 1100HP out of 8 liters and 4 turbos :p :D

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Veryon, Bah. Heavy. Ugly. overly complex. can't afford.

Heck, BMW made a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder single(?) turbo with 1500 HP in 1983 for F1, remember?

just a SMALL reliability issue there for daily driving, though :D

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

have you seen it's BHP output per litre... not too shabby for iGav.... :D

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I read it'd pulled 245+ at Nardo.

I'll disagree with you there ;) the McLaren may be the daddy for carrying 3 people and a set of golf clubs, but around a track it ain't even 2nd.

That's no excuse is it... :p it's not like it's Monaco either... but to be nearly 5 seconds down after a short lap... :eek: of course if you find a track which is long and straight, it'll be quicker (eventually though it's not as if it's vastly more accelerative than an Enzo) as soon as you throw in some corners it damn well ain't.

That's what I'm thinking... they can have all the straight line speed in the world... makes no difference if it can't do the twisty stuff.

I'm still wondering about it's need for 'hout couture' wheels and tyres for doing 200mph+ :eek: :p

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

For what is worth, I own TWO of the early 2003 release (actually my son does, but he lets me play with them) and it's not heavy at all.
    Hands on experience shows that, contrary to popular belief, it performs best on short windy tracks, while on long straightaways the enzo totally owns it.
    Of course neither can even come close to this.
    I never tried the McLaren so I can't speak for that one.

I have to add that, according to the above mentioned authority, the veyron is a "girl's" car (mainly because of the lack of a rear wing) and therefore the designated driver is usually my wife.

18. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Is it me or does that look like the car version of the U2 iPod?

19. andym172 macrumors 6502

Was the 245 run one way, or an average of 2 runs (which is needed in order to qualify iirc)?

The Macca F1 is very much a road car, and being 10+ years old is highly unlikely to be the fastest around a track, especially with the progress with suspension and brakes over the past few years.

I'm just not a fan of the Enzo - it's not a car that I yearn to own. The Zonda S and Carrera GT most definitely are - if only Porsche had the balls to make the GT the car it should have been... :rolleyes:
    Wonder what Alois Ruf will do when he gets his hands on one?! :D

20. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Yeah! I mean, who doesn't like simultaneously destroying the planet and supporting an industry which murders/enslaves thousands every year?

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I expect more per liter from a forced induction engine (not to mention one that's forced 4 times over) than a naturally aspirated engine :p

22. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It's not forced 4 times over, those 4 turbos just run on four different cylinders.

BEN

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I know they aren't in series, but one turbo for every four cylinders is quite the ratio. Hell, you could power 4 Impreza WRX STi's with that! Well, they'd only be 241HP instead of 300HP... ;)

24. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

As far as I know they were not going all out for the official speed test (the same way as Ferrari never do) just the usual testing of the car, pretty sure they did more runs than just 2 though. Anyway I thought the 2 run was for the land speed record only not road cars.

Bicocchi (the guy behind the Zonda as well as the Veyron and 'egg) is known to have reached 233mph in the rain alone at Nardo, it's got legs that's for sure.

But the Enzo, Carrera GT, 'egg etc etc are all road cars as well, the only valid way of knowing which is fastest is to put them on the track to find out and that's where the Enzo owns all comers, and as such should be the car the Veyron is compared to in performance terms.

Maybe the Veyron should be compared against the McLaren for everyday usability but I doubt very few people will use the Bugatti as a daily driver and I'd have thought such functionality is not high on the list for the purchasers.

I know what you mean... I feel the same way about the Zonda and Carrera GT, neither do anything for me. But variety is the spice and all that jazz! ;)

and it does that, rather handsomely as well. ;)

I don't think it's especially lazy engineering, they've broken the 100bhp/litre benchmark by a solid margin.

It's not like the poor excuse for the engine in the Viper that has a low bhp/litre and low torque/litre output ;) :p

or you could just bolt 4 MR FQ-400 engines together a'la VW to give a quasi W16 engine from 8 litres and it'd put out 1620bhp... not sure how reliable it'd be, though you would get a 3 Warrany on each of 'em! heheheheh

Did you see 5th Gear on Monday?? VBH said that the new Vanquish S would need something like 4 miles of straight road to reach 200mph.... when it doesn't breakdown of course though... :p :p :p