Bugatti Veyron = 253mph & 0-60mph in 2.5secs.!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mpw, Sep 7, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I have two words to describe this car:

In sane.

One, you can't drive 253 MPH *anywhere*, not even on the speed-unrestricted sections of the Autobahn. You'd be weaving around other cars like they were traffic cones.

Two, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? That's (does math on fingers) an acceleration of almost 1 G... in other words, you're going to feel like you're FALLING while you're accelerating. I'd trust only a few professional drivers to be able to handle that little problem.

Liar. ;)

4. mpw thread starter Guest

Damn. I feel inadequate in my Enzo now :(

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hmm... thats pretty fast :eek: :D

wonder if we'll see any in the states?

6. mpw thread starter Guest

I imagine there'll be one in every rap video next year.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hahahaha- except they usually use cars that cost 1/4 as much... 1million euros is steeeeeap!

guess it's worth it if you can afford it... wonder what the insurance would be like!!

8. mpw thread starter Guest

And here's a more significant (I hope) story from the same site, just less exciting.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

'Bout freaking time!

Well, we officially have a new king in the performance numbers game.

...I wonder when they'll have one on Top Gear? ;)

Anyway, this car isn't about actually going 253mph or 0-62 on 2.5sec., it's about owning something that could if you wanted to. How many people regularly take their McLaren F1 anywhere near 240? Not many - but that doesn't make it any less impressive.

10. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I'm thinking it requires some really bad-ass tires to get any kind of traction, otherwise you don't get there in 2.5 no matter how much power you have. I wonder how long those tires last! :eek:

11. iGav macrumors G3

Believe me... you have no idea what a crap day I've had today. :(

So yeah, the 16.4... awesome numbers going down aren't they :eek: the most amazing figure is that it can reach 180mph 1 minute faster than Aston Martin's new Vantage. :eek:

A couple of concerns though, awhile ago Autocar said that to actually achieve 253mph you have to call Bugatti up, and they'll send a fella out with a set of specials tyres that allow you to reach such speeds, otherwise you're tied to sub 200 mph... :eek: does anyone know if this is still the case?

Also... it was only the other month that Autocar was carrying photo's of the Veyron at the 'Ring, and by all accounts it didn't handle (at all) with numorous spins, the brakes couldn't take the load, and the car was still experiencing high speed aero lift. :eek:

And is it just me, or is 987bhp from a 16 cylinder 8.0 litre quad turbo engine disappointing? :eek: :p hahahahaha.

If only Ferrari had homologated the FXX... :D

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

well, for one thing the car is AWD (it has to be with that kind of power), the tires are HUGE and are basically race tires with some minor mods for street use.

They probably wear out pretty fast too, and cost more than a BMW to replace. But if you can afford the Veyron you're not worries about cost I'd think.

I'm impressed that they were actually able to get this thing into production, since the car is essentially beyond the state of the art for road cars.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You and me both...I hate being sick during the summer *cough*. And working when I'm sick. :mad:

I've heard the same thing.

Like I said before, this car is bleeding edge, so I guess the teething troubles are to be expected - but I hope the handling problems people saw were the result of prototype testing and not something we'll see on the production cars.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

bah. I had to get rid of her. too noisy.

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

wasn't it supposed to be 1001 horsepower? i'm disappointed...:(

just kidding! :p wow. that looks like a hell of a car--i'd be scared to ride in it :eek: much less drive it

16. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I don't think you can really count this as a production car, considering how few will be built. It is really a race car available to the extremely wealthy public.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes you do, and could you please tell us how much that Matchbox car cost you -- and the colors it is available in.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Something for the long, straight, unlimited roads in the Northern Territory... Mmm... The 'roos and 'mus wouldn't stand a chance. :p

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope some of the technology and design used in this new Bugatti soon trickle down to the Volkswagen Golf and Polo. :p

I think you'd slice through them like a knife, and the car would still be clean because none of the small chunks of animal carcass and blood would be able to stick onto the car at speeds like that.

If you didn't pay attention in the money and career related threads, he makes a lot of money. ;)

20. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

too much car to have in the states...not even worth the money too own in the U.S.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, I know that, but the car was JUST released. Ergo, he doesn't own one. Plus, if you've paid attention to Lacero's style of posting, you'd know that every other sentence out of his mouth (or his keyboard) is sarcasm. ;)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Damn, it's so hard to tell with him. Thought he was being serious.

And if he was being sarcastic, then why did YOU answer him? ;)

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just because someone is being sarcastic doesn't mean you can't call them on it. :cool:

24. iGary Guest

iGary

Car abd Driver did a nice write up on the construction of the Volkswagen...er Bugatti. :D

25. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That is one hell of a car.

However if you think that is fast look at this (.pdf). , 0-60 in under 2 seconds :eek: .