Bugger! monitor broke?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dagless, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I got a Dell 2005FPW monitor for christmas. It played up a little, dead pixels that healed, strange curving black lines on screen. but I never thought it was enough to warrant a replacement.

But today. I was ferrying my monitor to my aunt and uncles place as they're off on holiday. I get in and... well the display is more than knackered. There are stuck vertical red, blue and green lines when it's turned on, and a strange array of white lines eminiating from this one spot. not a crack, theres no dent or anything. just strange lines!

Guess I should be calling up Dell and getting a replacement for this? Right? anyone else had this problem?

I suppose final question is - are Dell nice with replacing machines under warranty?

2. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

If it were just a few stuck pixels, I'd say you were out of luck.

But the other symptoms definitely point to a bit of serious breakage that Dell shouldn't argue with when it comes to getting a replacement.

Their warranty service is pretty decent. You shouldn't have a problem getting it exchanged.

(btw, I have the same monitor at both work and home... lovely, ain't it!)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried a different DVI cable? You probably have but I just thought I'd mention it. :)

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think it's a cable fault, I get the same lines appearing when the display isn't connected to my PowerBook. It's a little messed up. I tried ringing up Dell but they said they're all busy and took down a number to call me back later.

I don't know what it is with me at the moment. I'm on my 3rd DS Lite, 2nd PowerBook battery and soon to be my 2nd Dell monitor. Bad luck year :p

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That sucks. A cable fault would have been so easy to fix. :(

Ah well, good luck with Dell Support. :)

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Don't say that! That's like "Good luck with your brain transplant operation!"... Anyways I have a good habit of dealing with returns especially when the big companies don't see it my way ;)
    oh god I hope this works though. This was a christmas present from my parents when my dad retired. theres no way I could buy a new one before I finish university. :(

7. Lau Guest

Well, if it's a warranty issue, they'll fix it. If they say it isn't a warranty issue, and was caused by you moving it, then that'll come under home insurance. (Assuming you have cover for your stuff when moving it around, that is.)