Buggiest mac ever...iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macdon401, Aug 22, 2005.

1. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

I am sorry to the moderaters, I placed this thread in the wrong catagory...I think.... I have placed it here as well as I believe it is an important subject I would like comments on! Please understand, thank you!
    macdon401
    I have an iMac G5 1.8, one month after I bought it the HD failed and was replaced by Apple, since then I have had no problems....but I keep hearing about this machine being the "Buggiest Mac ever" am I just waiting for the big freeze/crash or am I safe, are they ALL bad or just some...???
    Please check out this site, I have and I have one of these models...do you!!??
    http://g5freeze.com/index.html
    R

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

this link is for a PowerMac 1.8. You say you have an iMac 1.8. Those are completely different models.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have an iMac G5 and haven't had any problems with it...

...but they're pretty famous last words. :eek:

So macdon401, you have an iMac or a Power Mac? Either way, the hard drives aren't made by Apple and so unless it dies due to overheating or something else cause by a design fault in the iMac, we can't really blame Apple. :)

4. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

I have a Rev A iMac G5 and haven't had any issues with it. I *thought* I blew my power supply about a month ago. I was surfing Camino and my computer just shut down. I didn't even try to restart figuring it was infamous power supply/capacitator issue and I didn't want to kill my HD since I hadn't backed up iPhoto since I had my baby. I called Apple and they offered to send a tech to my house. Yay! The day the guy is supposed to come out my husband decides to try to start it up just to see what would happen. He notices that our UPS isn't on. He turns it on and the iMac starts up right away. I guess I got a surge or something and the UPS cut power. D'oh. Ah well, it was nice to see just how fast Apple responded. I felt quite dumb calling them back to tell them all was well. :rolleyes:

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think the G3 iBook is by far the buggiest. The size of the REA program for the iBook just goes to show you how many problems Apple had with them. Although we shall see the extent of the iMac REA.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I purchased my iMac G5 before they were released and received it in early October '04. In Jan or Feb I started having clicking noises, thought it was a failing hard drive. I called Apple and they told me it was software and charged me $50 (since I was out of the 90 day phone support warranty period). Sure enough the problem came back and occassionally would pop up, but I did not want to call them and be charged $50 each time this happened.
    I backed everything up.
    10 days or so ago my hard drive died. The first apple rep believed it was the hard drive, but I was disconnected. The 2nd rep tried to convince me it was software related and told me to buy Diskwarrior (Apple actually suggested I buy diskwarrior b/c the cd they provided me wasn't sufficient for this).......so I actually hung up on this guy. So Apple called me back (3rd person I spoke with) and he stated there was no doubt that it was the hard drive. He shipped me a new one so I could replace it myself. Great, not much trouble.....except for the $500+ they will charge me if they do not get the broken one back in 10 business days.
    While discussing the hard drive I mentioned some issues with the disk drive. This needs replaced or fixed too.
    3 days after this multi-phone call session, my screen goes out. All black. So I call Apple again, it's the logic board. Now I have to take it in. Knowing full well that this is a large-scale issue and people are not getting their iMac G5's back for 3 weeks or more.
    So I call Apple Customer Relations. I called from my office on speaker phone while I worked..........I was on hold for 75 minutes (my phone totals the time). One rep answered after 5 minutes and transferred me....and no one else ever answered.
    Got home, installed the new hard drive that arrived today.....but I cannot install the OS b/c of no screen. I tried booting in Target disk mode with a Mac Mini running, but nothing.
    So now I have a faulty hard drive that I have to return to Apple or be charged $500+ while I leave my iMac G5 at the shop with the new hard drive installed and a faulty disk drive and faulty logic board that will take who knows how long.
    I will be calling Customer Relations again tomorrow. I have spent over $10,000 on Apple computers, software, hardware, and iPods since January of 2002 (when the iMac G4 is released). I feel that it is unacceptable to have a nearly $2000 machine have 3 things go wrong with it that render the computer useless in a week period. This is a lemon and I expect that they will send me a replacement and not make me wait 30 days (and waste 30 days of my newly purchased AppleCare Warranty) while it sits on a shelf and collects dust until logic boards arrive.
    This is the buggiest Mac I have ever had.

7. aznsal612 macrumors member

Well there was that recent statement about the extended warranty for the early iMacs and their easy failing logic boards....

8. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I said the exact same thing last week. Then on Friday I had the infamous power failure.

The computer died--I thought because the cord was a little loose. Plugged it in nice and snug...after 5 mins of use it died out. I opened the case, lo and behold, to find a yummy electronic burning smell. I took the computer to the Apple Store. The fellow there told me, "Yeah, we'll have it back to you within 7 days..." I thought that was ridiculous. I asked if they could just give me the part and I'll put it in myself. "No, we don't do that," he said. I didn't argue...

I got a call about 2 hrs later telling me my iMac was ready to be picked up. Everything appears to be fine...I ran all kinds of diagnostics and maintenance scripts. Things checked out.

The only problem I'm having is that the hot corners don't seem to work with the screensaver anymore -- they work if I set them to exposé or Dashboard...just not screensaver. I haven't tried anything to fix it yet...but strange just the same...

9. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Xserve G5....
    Later found out that the box was solid and the bugs were all related to 10.3.5 thru 10.3.8

10. tencentcat macrumors newbie

tencentcat

I've had at least 7 or 8 macs over the last few years. Every single one of them has had some issue. Lot that I still don't love them.

I got an iMac G5 1.8 when they first came out, and it ran great for me. I ended up selling it after a few months because of the vacuum cleaner that Apple installed under the monitor. If it weren't for the noise I would have loved to keep it.

11. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

i feel sooo validated....

i have NEVER had the nerve to buy the first release of ANYTHING technology related.
    i always wait for at least the first revision, longer if i don't NEED to upgrade straight away.
    the last mac i bought was in '99. a G3/333 PB. this little puppy has given me zero grief in six years!!
    i'm about to buy two iMac G5's and feel fairly "safe" in the knowledge that apple "should" have gotten the worst of the hassles sorted by now. :D
    man, i'll never be an early adopter... i'll leave that to you rich folk...

12. Italiano macrumors newbie

I bought a revision A 1.8 ghz. 20" Imac in June - so far no problems at all - I bumped the ram to 768 and love it! If it breaks down I'll have it fixed as I do have 3 years of warranty. My G4 is collecting dust now. :cool:

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

nope all good for me other then the start up
    folder with a Finder then '?' flashing , put that happened after it went oout becosue of a power outage so i say i did it, plus it does not effect my mac other then a long start up

14. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Jovian9, that's a pretty raw deal you've got. I know what it is like talking to tech support (not with Apple, mind) and getting them to agree on one thing is like pulling teeth. But i think you have a good case for a complete replacement. Keep a record of all your calls, try to get someone senior and if necessary put the whole thing in writing. If they try to charge you the $500 I think you could quite legitimately not pay based on the treatment (combined with bad luck) that you have had. Hope you get it sorted.