Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I use firefox as my main browser and for the past few days I've had to force quit every 30 minutes or so. I was wondering if this is a recurring problem amongst Mac Firefox users since I've spoken to a few ppl who have expereinced similar. So for those of you who use FF instead of Safari, do you find that the beach balls occur out of the blue sometimes and in effect leave you with no option but to force quit?

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I've experienced it a few times with older version, and I have no quick solutions for that, but if you're willing to upgrade to a beta, and live without some extensions for a while:

It hasn't happened at all after I changed to Firefox 1.5 beta/Deer Park.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i have found that firefox is haunted on my computer.....

whenever im looking azt a web page, it spontaneously goes back to the previous page! this is so annoying!

i am sticking with safari for now.

tastic

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
macOSX-tastic said:
i have found that firefox is haunted on my computer.....

whenever im looking azt a web page, it spontaneously goes back to the previous page! this is so annoying!

i am sticking with safari for now.

tastic

Well, this happened to me as well but you might want to check the 2 finger scrolling option. In FF you can automatically go back/forward on the trackpad.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
mad jew said:
I personally can't stand anything from Mozilla for PC or for Mac but nevertheless, deleting the Firefox preferences may help you.

Yeah I've started to use Safari now. It's the nice extensions you get for FF that make it so neat. They're like widgets for a browser.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Have any of you given Camino a try? The title of the webpage reads "Mozilla power on Mac" or something of that sort. Maybe it works more like a Mac App than FF?

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Peter Griffin said:
Well, this happened to me as well but you might want to check the 2 finger scrolling option. In FF you can automatically go back/forward on the trackpad.

This happens to me all the time (the involuntary page back). I have no idea what causes it and have not been able to fix it in preferences. Any help?

And with respect to the original topic, yes, it happens to me quite a bit as well-- permanent beachball necessitating a force quit. I need to try camino.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I use Firefox all the time and have never had any of the problems you speak of. You should check to make sure you are using the most recent build. They are always coming out with new builds which fix many bugs. You could also try a reinstall and trashing the prefs. I love the customizability and the extensive preferences of Firefox. The main problem with Safari is you can't really customize much of your interface. Plus Safari, in my opinion is the ugliest browser ever (yes even uglier than Netscape 6). There are some really cool skins for Firefox.

I have never tried Camino, but since Firefox is the flagship program it gets updated a lot more frequently than the other Mozilla children like Camino. The Mozilla browser itself is buggy and slow. For this reason I would probably recommend Firefox over Camino (even though Camino is cocoa) or Mozilla.

There are a number of other browsers for OS X. My other favorite is OmniWeb, but they charge money for it and it's not updated as often as Firefox or Safari. It has the BEST tabbed browsing I've ever seen and you can customize the toolbar completely with many many different buttons. I've also tried iCab and Opera, both of which are buggy at best for Mac. Microsoft killed IE when Safari came out and AOL silently killed Netscape for Mac with Netscape 8, so I would not recommend either of these browsers.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
rosalindavenue said:
This happens to me all the time (the involuntary page back). I have no idea what causes it and have not been able to fix it in preferences. Any help?

The fix for that can be found here

In my opinion Safari is a great browser, i only use Firefox when i really have to. Camino is also very good and better than FF i think, so why not give it a try.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
dietcokevanilla said:
The fix for that can be found here

In my opinion Safari is a great browser, i only use Firefox when i really have to. Camino is also very good and better than FF i think, so why not give it a try.

Thanks VERY much-- that was a major annoyance. :cool: I'll try Camino as well.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
rosalindavenue said:
Thanks VERY much-- that was a major annoyance. :cool: I'll try Camino as well.

Does anyone know if Camino has the FF extensions by any chance? I'm about to give Camino a try. All this force quiting is driving me nuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.