Bugs in iPhoto export to web page

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doctor Q, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I often use the iPhoto feature that lets you export a selection of images to one or more web pages, but the result has minor bugs that, well, bug me. I'm using Panther's iTunes, version 2.0.

Here are the bugs I've noticed, in descending order of importance:
    1. If you create multiple pages, the Next link is missing from the image page for the last image on each page. In other words, if you look at a page of thumbnails (other than the last) and click on the last image to see the full-size image, the Next link won't work. The word Next is there, but it is not an anchor (hypertext link). The last image on the last page should not have a link, which it doesn't, but all of the other pages should let you go from the last image on page N to the first image on page N+1.
    2. The Up link on every image page goes to the first thumbnail page instead of to the page with that image's thumbnail. For example, if you go UP from the last image, you should be on the last page of thumbnails.
    3. A Previous link sometimes shows up on the first image's page. Sometimes it doesn't; this happens to me about half the time when I try exporting different numbers of images with different numbers of images per page. I didn't determine the pattern, but the point is that it sometimes includes a mistaken link. The first image shouldn't have a Previous link.
    4. The web pages after the first are named Page1.html, Page2.html, even though you click the "Page 2" link to go to Page1.html, the "Page 3" link to go the Page2.html, etc. The files should be named Page2, Page3, etc. instead of Page1, Page2, etc.
    5. The arrows used for the Previous and Next links use < and > signs instead of their entities, < and >. Safari doesn't happen to choke on this mistaken usage, but not all web browsers are as forgiving.
    6. The starting page (the first page of thumbnails) is named after the directory it is put in, instead of being named index.html, or having a link to it named index.html. So if you point your web browser at the directory you just filled in, the first page doesn't pop up and it's not obvious that you should load poobah.html (or whatever it's called) instead of Page1.html.
    You could argue about whether these are bugs or "features" or whether they present much of a problem in practice, but I'm a perfectionist about my photo pages, so these bugs bother me.

Can someone else with version 2.0 confirm my observations?

Can someone with iPhoto 4 (the iLife '04 version) test if they happen in version 4 too? If they do, I'll report them to Apple and maybe they will fix them for version 5.

Pretty please?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Bugs in iPhoto export to web page

Here are my findings with iPhoto 4:
    1. Next links appear to work fine. I could navigate from the first image to the last, and back, just fine. All next links were present and functional.
    2. Up links take you to the appropriate thumbnail page for the large image.
    3. Previous link does show up, but if you say it's a sporadic thing it bears more testing.
    4. I agree the naming is (and remains) odd. It takes the name you give the folder/save name for the index page and then 1, 2, 3, etc.
    5. They are still not using the character entity codes.

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks, Rower_CPU. I owe you a small noctural mammal.

I'm writing a shell script that will fix all of the problems I spotted. I'll adjust it so that it only tries to fix the problems that are present, or at least does no harm, so it will be usable for either iPhoto 2 or iPhoto 4.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's an exotic one...quite the schnozz. Thanks! :)

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I think that's a bigger bug than you expected...