Bugs in Jaguar: what have you encountered?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G4scott, Aug 26, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    So far, I've had a problem where I couldn't drag and drop once, but after a restart, it was fine.

Right now, none of my services seem to be working. I get errors in the console. I can't even copy and paste right now. Not even after a restart and a re-install...

So, what bugs have you encountered, and have you told Apple yet?
  2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Re: Bugs in Jaguar: what have you encountered?

ive encountered not many bugs, persae (can someone pelase tell me how to spell that word..), rather things apple could improve on..

btw: in regards to the terminal, it has been kinda whack.. sometimes itll just connect to tcsh instead of other configured stuff... and it wont correct things that you type in anymore.. unless its for some weird reason not configured correctly..

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    Re: Re: Bugs in Jaguar: what have you encountered?

per se
  4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Re: Re: Bugs in Jaguar: what have you encountered?

Only because you asked, here is your post, with corrected spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Special thanks to Sherlock 3 for the dictionary, and my keyboard for the apostrophe and period:

I've not encountered many bugs, per se (can someone please tell me how to spell that word?), but rather things Apple could improve upon.

By the way, regarding the terminal, it has been kind of whacked. Sometimes it'll just connect to tcsh, instead of other configured stuff. It won't correct things that you type in anymore. Perhaps, for some weird reason, it is not configured correctly?
  5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    aqua pinwheel thingy flickers

pix with 'show icon preview' don't dim when selected

terminal background flickers to white when something bad is entered

they took away my fav alert sound >_< mophokkers....

disk info in file name does not update after empting the trash (well, not right away...)

tab auto complete thingy will only work for me when i type at least four chars of the target's name (it used to work with only 1 i thought...)

got a kernal panic first time i tried to run the startup disk control panel (might have been just a glitch, might have been because i had 2 OS9 sys folds on a disk at the time)....
  6. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    On my iBook 500, I can see some screen redraws of the dock onto Chimera but so far nothing else.

BTW: I think the best "New" feature is the ability to network with PC's. Good job, APPLE!
  7. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    there are many bugs

many of the MR commuity have contributed some here http://www.ambitiouslemon.com/hints.php?id=17

the biggest one is an STMP bug in mail , where mail won't connect to STMP server properly, my ISP mail won't work so I have to use .mac, and there are some minor ones
  8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I have had somewhat limited time to use Jaguar so far, but i have yet to encounter a problem!

(And yes! the PC networking rocks!)
  9. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    hey mac15-> it's SMTP not STMP

and most of the bugs you all have mentioned i have not seen or had problems with...maybe they are just reflections of their users...haha...jk
  10. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: Re: Re: Bugs in Jaguar: what have you encountered?

Actually, to split flea hairs, it's "per sé" :p
  11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bugs in Jaguar: what have you encountered?

No, the English usage is from the Latin usage, and does not accent the e.
  12. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    volume adjustment on powerbook. I can set the system alert sound to anything i wish, and it works fine, but if i adjust the volume using the keyboard, it's stuck on some wierd "drip" noise.

but if i adjust it usiing the slider, it's the system alert sound that i set....very strange indeed.
  13. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    Quartz Extreme

I don't know if this classifies as a bug, but I'm not sure where else to put this one.

I have the iMac G4, Flat Panel, 800Mhz, Superdrive, 512MB ram - GeForce 2MX graphics.

I thought that QE was supposed to handle all of the 2D graphics - including the dock and magnification of the dock items.

Well, as far as I can tell, the dock doesn't take advantage of QE. The genie effects and other effects related to shrinking windows are exempt from my issue.

To see what I am talking about, launch the CPU monitor. Turn on magnification on the Dock and turn up the magnification to the max (doesn't have to be maxed out -- just better illustrates my point).

Now, slide the mouse over the dock icons. See what happens to the CPU meter - it maxes out.

Anyone have any answers as to why the dock magnification isn't QE optimized?

Didn't find any information on the Apple web site or help files.

[sits back and chugs down his Klingon Blood Wine]
  14. FatTony macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    My TiBook freezes on sleep (when I choose sleep from the apple menu and when I close the lid, not when it goes to sleep from inactivity).

Software update reports an error when I check for updates.

The SMTP mail problems.

I set my TiBook to autologin my acct., there have been instances when it stops at the login panel and other times when it does autologin. I haven't found a pattern.

I have noticed some monitor weirdness with my second monitor. I haven't found a pattern, yet.

And since I venting, the latest version of the Cisco VPN doesn't work in 10.2!
  15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Has the Internet Connect bug been fixed?

The one where you click "Connect" and nothing happens, causing you to continuously click and click and click it, finally whipping your TiBook across the room to watch it shatter into little titanium shards because this extremely annoying bug has been present in OS X for-EVER and it hasn't been fixed yet?
  16. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Re: Quartz Extreme

Maybe it's supposed to handle all 2D graphics excluding the dock... From what I understand, it's designed to accelerate some 2D operations, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few (including the Dock) weren't covered. Perhaps the Dock needs to be revamped to take advantage of QE or something.
  17. mdman macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2002
    Orange County
    I've only found 3 so far, and I think 1 is not so much a bug, but a limitation of 10.2. In 10.1.x you could change your system folders, like Applications, users, and what not, but it seems in 10.2 you are unable to.

I found on my iBook if you have speakable items enabled, everytime you reboot, the system sets the internal mic's level to max, even if you change the level, upon reboot it reverts back to the max setting. An Apple tech was able to replicate the error, and said he would pass it along.

Also if you burn a CD in 10.2 it is no longer readable on a windows PC. So if you need to transfer files from your Mac to a windows machine, or to a friend who's got a windows machine, your out of luck. It seems that instead of burning as a standard ISO image, it's buring CDs as HFS+. You can see files and folders, but you can't access what's in the folders on a windows machine. The Apple tech said they were aware of the problem, and would pass it along. Although he didn't say to whom he was passing this information along to :rolleyes:

10.2 hosed my iBook when I did an upgrade, kept getting tons of errors in iChat, and it seemed to even slow my system down. But after backing up my data, and doing a reformat and clean install, 10.2 is wonderful, and I have noticed a speed increase even without the Quartz Extreme, yeah!
  18. mdman macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2002
    Orange County
    that's not a bug, it's a new "feature"

I asked the Apple Tech about this. It's now the default sound, when you use the sound keys. It's the same on my iBook. You can disable the sound, but you can't change it. I disabled it, my roomie said it sounds like someone passing gas :eek:

Just wanted to let you know your not the only one who noticed that.

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001

woops just a silly mistake, I got confused :D
  20. 3777 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2002
    Re: Has the Internet Connect bug been fixed?

Yup.....that has been corrected
  21. Mephisto macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002
    I found a bug that allows me to disconnect people using iChat :)

Kicks em riiight offa iChat :)
  22. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2002
    Highlands Ranch

HOw in the hell do you do that?
  23. Mephisto macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002
    I cant tell u, too much power to unleash

But i can showww you :)
  24. BongHits macrumors regular

May 2, 2002
    its look like i'll be waiting for 10.3 until i upgrade...or at least until 10.2 has no glaring bugs and really is easier to use with windows machines...even if i get a discount i still don't see $70 being worth rendevouz and QE (all i really want out of 10.2) i Chat, inkwell? all nice, but useless as of now. I want v(ideo)Chat and complete voice control over my computer.
  25. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Too much Weed for Bong Hits....

You've really been hitting the bong. Have you seen rendevous and the new networking stuff in action? I HIGHLY doubt it.

My father with whom I share an office with uses windows for AutoCAD (please, MAC VERSION!) and with NO tweaking whatsoever, i can share files with him over the network.

It's as if he were a Mac, its so darn easy.

Quit whining and go out and support Jag. It's amazing. And yes, it seems like most of the problems people have with it are because they aren't that savvy but THINK they are.

That'll happen with OS8, OS9, Win 95, 98, ME, OS X, NeXT, BeOS, any op. system... if you think you can do much with it but lack the savvy, welllllll, yer fizucked.