build a mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 16, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

has anybody taken old mac parts and/or clone parts and built a mac?

this is common with pcs, but i have never met anybody do this with a mac...but i have seen it once on www.woz.org somewhere on the site

2. iGav macrumors G3

Never....... if you'd seen my soldering you'd understand why....... :D

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've seen "Franken-Macs" which consist of various pieces from a few compiled into one...

but nothing that involved soldering and really modifying the board or anything...

just doesn't seem worth the effort and $$$...

PC parts are relatively cheap....Mac parts definitely are not...

4. iGav macrumors G3

I know what you mean eye, taking that screw driver, soldering iron and self Faith to a TiBook requires balls the hardness of diamonds...... :p

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Very true. Go to a website of one of Motrola's distributers, and you'll find that, in small quantities, nothing above a 233MHz G3 is even for sale (not to mention the fact that very few companies sell any Moto processor above an '030), and even that is ~ $350. Hell, the MC68040 is $200.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he....I'd go for "Brass Balls" personally...but I like that comparrison...

I'm not about to touch anything like that with my TiBook...I can deal with minimal things....but screw that! ;) :eek:

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm with you there, eye. The only thing I've done to my TiPB is lift up the keypad to see what was undernieth. I promptly put it right back.....

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Guess I have titanium ones then :D, since I have gone about as far as possible without nuking the warranty on my TiBooks (yes on both of them). There is a reason I have 'No Fear' on my helmet (flanking a nice white Apple logo).

If I could get a hold of the motherboard and such from a fairly recent Mac, I would build one up. I have thought about getting a new Gx (after either MWNY or MWSF) and if I don't like the case, get one that I do and make it work. I would probably get one from CoolerMaster (virtually silent fans, and large enough to slip many drives into) and build a FrankenMac, or an ÜberMac system. Set up a four drive RAID (ATA133 of course) with 160GB drives and keep on moving from there.

Now where's Egor???