Build it yourself G5s?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by digital1, Mar 22, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

digital1

This would be awesome if IBM did this, as I cannot afford a G5, but it seems that IBM has been approaching Mobo manufacturers about making mobos based on PPC. Read here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14834

Hopefully that would mean PPC 970 ;) That would be neat-o :) What you guys think?

2. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Still wouldn't be able to run OS X on it though :(

3. macrumors P6

wdlove

If you want a real Mac it only comes from Apple. Without X you don't have anything of quality.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

In theory it could make sense. Given the kind of design they go with. Personally, I think it would be a driver issue to get it to work with OSX. Nonentheless,it would be interesting to see how it pans out.

5. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Let us know when you find that 'driver.' :p

6. macrumors 65816

strider42

ASFAIK the issue is that apple still puts proprietary boot roms on all their machines. You can buy generic PPC motherboiards right now with no problem, but none of them can run mac OS for that reason. its a hardware, rather than a software limitation.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Good point... ;) thanks for the clearification. Kills that idea! LOL LOL LOL I forgot about Apple's proprietary boot ROMs. Although, I do still think it is possible to do some programming to work around it...

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

BTW, I am digging your avatar dude... that hair is awesome

9. macrumors 6502a

I guess that if you don't want iMovie (and iTunes, and Final Cut, and Quicktime, and....) you could install Darwin (and add stuff like X Window System) or Linux.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Well assuming I am able to get past the Proprietary ROM, Installing that other stuff is a matter of purchasing the respective software packages. iLife 04, FCP,etc.etc. ;)

11. macrumors G4

Err...that link points to some Nvidia NV40 stuff, the link to the actual story is here.

12. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just install Linux, then Mac-on-Linux, and voila, Mac OS X running on a generic PowerPC :)

13. macrumors 68020

The ROM is only used for booting in the Mac OS X world. If you can write Darwin kernel drivers for your peripherals, you can run Mac OS X.

Because of the nonproprietary open-source nature of Darwin, it appears to me that the 'licensing'/'cloning' issue of earlier versions of the Mac OS no longer applies. If IBM wishes to make motherboards and run Mac OS X on them, there would appear to be nothing to prevent them; and furthermore, these machines would be indistinguishable from an Apple machine.

Apple's job - which, IMHO, they are doing very well - is to make the best Unix systems available.

As for the shrink-wrap licenses, terms disclosed after the sale of the product, those are of doubtful legality. IANAL, but my opinion is that once money and product have changed hands, you can do with the product whatever you wish. Any subsequently disclosed 'license agreements' are nonbinding.

14. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Has anyone actually done this??

15. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

post-purchase pre-use license agreements are in fact binding, if wrongfully so (i agree with you in theory). and AFAIK, without looking, the license agreements to actually *install* os x, insists it be an "apple labeled computer".

and yeah, you'd have to burn a ROM chip at least, not an easy task (but not impossible). but the motherboards may provide special access to the ROM chips that the generic boards do not... i don't know. it could be more complicated than just the ROM, since it's an inherently proprietary hardware set.

paul

16. macrumors 6502a

crenz

I don't think it's going to be possible to make your own Mac OS X-compatible G5. But this move of IBM is going to strengthen the PPC platform -- which is a good thing, and will benefit Apple in the long run.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Well too I am thinking along the lines of doing it myself. I suppose the only licensing issue I as a consumer would have is the actual OS license. But, I think in IBMs case, if they provide the board, and I can get Mac-On-Linux (awesome idea Nermal btw, totally forgot about that one.) I think you could have a pretty generic running build-it-yourself G5. I don't know that someone would try selling these things though. But I do think its an awesome idea to get the G5 architecture out there in general. Essentially mobo manufacturers are tied down to the x-86 architecture in some form or another. At a minimum with some of the new chipsets and ISA's they are tied down to at least extentions, and/or code to x86 that could be absorbing performance because of some of the backwards translation(talking about the new 64-bit chips that are out now ). Going with a G5 architecture could give people more choice, and a very powerful architecture to use and harness. Oh sorry about the link guys ;) Good discussion though. ;) :) :D

18. macrumors 68020

Just to clarify, of course copyright law would still apply. Copyright law is all the protection software publishers need or should be entitled to.

That being said, I'd like to see IBM license hardware designs from Apple so the machines could be fully compatible. I don't think IBM and Apple would sell into the same markets. Unfortunately for the DIYers, I doubt IBM would sell retail motherboards either.

Also, there is going to be a big push for desktop Linux in the near future, and into 2005, and I expect it to start out slow but become hugely successful.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Very much agreed... ;)

20. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I really only want a G5 if i can run Mac Os X...

If burning/flashing the ROM will do it.... then do it really...

If *someone* gets it to work... then please post about it.

21. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yes, if someone can do it, please let us know!

I can't find anywhere to buy PowerPC 970 motherboards or processors!

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Thats because IBM hasn't done it yet. This story was just about IBM is in talks with manufacturers about. They aren't making them yet ;)

23. macrumors 68020

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Thanks Cubist ;). That is pretty expensive. Always nice to dream I suppose. That is a little much for a board.. LOL LOL LOL :p

25. thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Thats funny. If you look at the chip layout the thing uses an AMD southbridge chip.. That's classic.. LOL LOL :D