Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vrc

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2004
They're a little more than just boards for that price. The $6000 unit is complete with ATX case. The boards have embedded Dual 1.4Ghz CPUs. Still way too much money though, that's too bad.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
Yeah and you are missin out on Apple's System Controller ASIC. This board uses the old Northbridge/Southbridge setup that all other chipsets rely on. :( The Apple Mobo is still more superior for this fact alone I think.

vrc

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2004
Agreed. Imagine trying to replace a CPU that went bad! The truth of the matter starting out with a factory G5 would be the same money anyway. I put together a dual AMD 248 with comparable hardware to the G5, and it was $2900 and change anyway. Plus nobody puts these things together like who ever does it for Apple. Have you ever tried Linux on your Mac?

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
vrc said:
Agreed. Imagine trying to replace a CPU that went bad! The truth of the matter starting out with a factory G5 would be the same money anyway. I put together a dual AMD 248 with comparable hardware to the G5, and it was $2900 and change anyway. Plus nobody puts these things together like who ever does it for Apple. Have you ever tried Linux on your Mac?

Me personally? Well I tried getting it to work on a buddy of mine's G4 system a while back. It was pretty weird how he had it set up. But we had trouble setting it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.