Build me a gaming PC for £550...!

Discussion in 'Games' started by MIDI_EVIL, Mar 4, 2006.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I am looking at Ebuyer, i'm trying to price up a few components.

I'm aiming for:

AMD processor - 3400+ ?
    Radeon 9800 Pro Graphics?
    80GB Western Digital 7200 rpm 8mb Cache HD?
    1 GB - 2 GB RAM ?

I'm not a really serious gamer, but i play real time strategy games and really hate slow down and pauses.

Please help me build a stable unit, or make any recommendations.

Thank you,
    Rich.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If newegg.com ships to your area I would highly recommend them! I order all my parts and equipment from them usually.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'll sell you my pc for 400+shipping

3000+ 939 venice
    120GB HD
    x800XT
    1GB ram
    wireless pci card

the graphics card is allot more important than the cpu, anything equivalent to a 3GHz p4 or above is fine

(edit, may be up for a part ex for your dual g4, i need a server, if so it'd make sense for me to come to wales/ you to come to london)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I usually pay about £100 for each component. I'm a little out of date but a couple of years ago I got...

Pentium 4 2ghz
    Intel mobo
    Radeon 9600 pro
    512mb DDR
    160gb HDD

now I'd get it all for £100 each again. Do not get an athlon though. Theres a reason why Microsoft and Apple prefer Intel. very fast, very reliable chips. Though if you want I can get you in touch with my mate, he bought a 2ghz Athlon CPU a year ago for £80, selling it for £40 with a motherboard. He bought an Intel instead and has been trying to flog his cheap CPU for ages now :D

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

tripe.

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

So why do Apple and Microsoft prefer Intel (Apple atleast)?

BTW raggedjimmi, I downloaded The New Satan Sam, tis a very cool game. Cant get past level 4 tho :mad:

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've used both AMD and Intel chips and can say either work great. I never had problems with a single AMD chip. Also, the Athlon FX line is known to be the best gaming CPUs... and some of the most expensive. (Look at an Athlon FX-57)

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

because intels upcoming cpu's will be good all based on the pentium M, yonah, conroe, woodcrest will be great and will probably knock AMD for 6, however at the moment the P4 sucks and all netburst cores, they run too hot and are too slow and too expensive, this type of brand loyalty is beyond reason, at the moment the SSE3 socket 939 AMD cpu's are the best value.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno. Like I said a mate of mine bought an Althon 2000+ or something last year. His previous chips only being an AMD-K6 (was it? It had K6 in there somewhere). Bought the AMD and motherboard decided it was cack and has tried flogging it to anyone who'll take it. When he used to work in the shop down the road he stuck up adverts left right and centre. I might buy it myself, I just want to run Sim City 3000, Multimedia Fusion and a few more old games.
    Amazingly though, the AMD didn't come with adequate (or any) instructions. I remember spending hours trying to figure out why his computer wouldn't come on. The AMD box didn't even include that gel you're supposed to apply between the CPU and heatsink. Took it to the computer shop, got some gel.
    Bought his P4. came with everything. even a fancy sticker.

I'm all for AMD and that. But they're just so cheap. As experienced through Toms machine and my girlfriends horrible desktop PC.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's his fault for not getting a compatible mobo, that problem is universal it happens with intel cpu's and amd's, how hard is it to put a cpu in a socket and slapa heatsink on?

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So one kid has trouble with one AMD CPU and they are all junk now? :rolleyes: The A64 CPU is a nice chip, better than the P4 or anything based on it by leaps and bounds.

The Pentium M based stuff is all very nice, and AMD is going to have trouble keeping up. Apple uses Intel because, for the moment, they are offering the best performance per watt of power consumption. This allows them to build the small, powerful machines that we all love.

The last P4 I bought, btw, didn't come with any glue to attach the CPU to the heatsink... it had a sticker! Worked well, mind, but it was pretty lame. The AMD before that came with some nice adhesive. Did your friend buy an OEM chip? Why would those include adhesive, they are meant for system builders.

I've since stopped buying either of them and just pay out the nose for Macs; worth it though.

12. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

£543 from ebuyer (this doesn't include OS, keyboard/mouse, speakers or monitor).

AMD (venice) Athlon 64 3000 + (ADA3000DAA4BW) OEM 512Kb Cache Skt 939pin
    ASRock (939DUAL-SATA2) ALi 1695 Chipset PCI Express 8 Channel sound LAN ATX
    Ebuyer 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin Extra Value Ram
    Maxtor 6L160P0 Diamondmax 10 160GB 7200RPM ATA/133 8MB Cache - OEM
    Hiper 480W Type-R Black PSU
    Ebuyer Midi Tower Case with 350W PSU
    LG GSA-4167BRL 16X Dual Layer Dual Format DVD ± RW Writer - Black Retail Pack
    Connect3d X1800XL 256Mb DDR DVI-I + DVI-I + VIVO
    Glacialtech igloo 7200 AMD socket 754/939/940

-Although if you wait a few weeks, Nvidia is meant to be bringing out something a bit faster for about £30 more.
    -You also might want to change the case and change the DVD writer to match.
    -The motherboard supports PCI-EX and AGP cards, so you could always use it with any AGP cards you have now and then upgrade to a fast PCI-EX card in a few weeks.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not hard at all. But when you're building a PC for the first time you'd expect some instructions. You get PC/Mac/Console manuals telling you how to turn the device on, you get manuals telling kids not to operate heavy machinery whilst taking cough medicine... A little explanation and a little bit of that gel in the box, just like what Intel did, would have been nice.

Every AMD I've seen has been troublesome. List! My dads old machine, my girlfriends old machine, her new machine, my mate Tom's old machine, my neighbour's machine, 3 people on my course (AMD laptops) and the most prestigious computer shop in the north west of England will not touch an AMD and just outright deny it's existence. More trouble than they're worth.

Most of those people swopped to Intel (or mac! in my neighbours case) and have not complained since. expect for the "jaaaames... I think I have a virus" :rolleyes:

AMD may be more powerful and cheaper and that. I don't know. I haven't looked into the PC hardware world since about 2002. In my experience AMD have always been sub-par, and usually act as a stop gap for people who couldn't afford a Pentium at the time.

14. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Great machine.
    My only gripe, the ebuyer RAM is meant to be awful!

Thanks though, it might be worth waiting like you said, see what's round the corner.

Rich.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd have a look for Time computers (it might be Tiny, I get those 2 mixed up). They went into liquidation so they're flogging their systems very cheap. My dad picked up some £80 speakers for £5 from a clear out place today. GO! Go forth and get a good deal. I don't know where you'd find them though, my dad found a sign pointing to a warehouse with the company logo on it.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

17. fuzzie macrumors newbie

Ye gods, no wonder you're spouting garbage. Try looking at some recent benchmarks before giving people bad advice. The Pentium 4 design was a massive mistake of Intel's, and they're still trying to catch up with AMD.

And Apple went with Intel for multiple reasons - because Intel can guarantee supplies of the high-end chips (note how Apple are happily shipping Core Duo machines while other companies are having problems getting any supplies), because Intel give gobs of marketing money to companies who use them exclusively (take a look at Dell, for example), and because Intel's laptop chips have considerably better performance per watt.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

he bought an OEM cpu, intel OEM cou's come with the same lack of instruction

19. nowaycomputer macrumors newbie

A bit of DIY?

I'm not sure how comfortable the parent is about a wee bit of building, but:

Check out http://www.arbico.co.uk
    They've got some excellent prices for base units.

For example: http://arbico.co.uk/product.php?productid=16138&cat=0&page=1
    a 3400+ base unit for £360, similar to the one I bought.

All you've really got to do is then pick up a graphics card from ebuyer(http://www.ebuyer.com) or savastore (http://www.savastore.com) and you should be able to get a pretty decent one (PCI-E) for around £100 (or as much of your budget as you want to spend).

Not sure what the previous poster was talking about Intel chips being better / more reliable than AMD chips. The reality is AMD has been far ahead in both performance and price for years.

True, Intel are starting to catch up (quite quickly) to AMD with the M and the D chips - duo,dohan etc - but the reason Apple chose Intel was almost certainly because Intel offered them a better deal not because of performance issues.

There is a reason that the AMD model numbers (ie 3400) aren't directly related to core frequency of the chip :) And why they're considerable higher than the chips true frequency

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Partly because of Intel's mobile chips, partly because no-one in El Retardo has heard of AMD, partly because AMD can't make 'em fast enough, and partly because IBM and Intel hate each other's guts

Odd, because mine always come with that

I think this explains your argument - you're just as bad as the guy claiming that everything from Apple sucks because OS9 was utter sh*te

21. csTYCOON macrumors newbie

In the PC world right now AMD chips are faster, and make less heat.
    The motherboards (nForce4) are better than anything intel has to offer.

AMD did not take over %55 market share from %5 from having a crappy product..even with Dells, and every other PC company in the worlds backing they still fell to AMD's better processor.:eek: