Build to Order at an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by echeck, Jun 19, 2005.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with something.

I'm going to be ordering a Dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac but I don't want to order it stock. The only thing I really care about adding when I purchase it is the airport/bluetooth module. Can a retail Apple Store do this? Or is my only option to order it online? Even though the nearest Apple Store to me is a seven to eight hour drive, I would be willing to make that drive (and turn it in to a weekend mini-vacation) if the retail Store could do this upgrade for me. I know most are probably thinking "Just order it online, what's the big deal?".. Well, I just don't like spending $2000+ on something and then having to wait two weeks to get it. ;) I'm greedy, I know!

Why isn't wireless standard on a PowerMac?! Oh well.. ;)

Thanks!

2. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Ya I know. The fact that they added Airport and Bluetooth 2.0 as standard (very suprising) to the consumer desktop and left it out of the pro line doesn't make sense at all. I mean right now the Powerbook has it standard while the iBook only has Airport. And although I'm predicting Bluetooth will be standard on the next revision since it is standard now on the iMac which is a desktop machine, the Powermac not having it standard is like if the iBook had Airport and Bluetooth while on the "pro" Powerbook you had to BTO. It sucks alot, I know, especially since Apple seems to want to push its wireless keyboards and mice. There's always next revison though :p

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

You can order anything from the apple store. if you order it from the store your order gets pushed to the front of line..(or so i heard)

4. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Okay, I figured I would be pushing it in thinking I could get a Build-to-Order right there in the store. Even if they were able to put in the Bluetooth/Airport module there in the store it would probably be a few days before it would be ready.

So here's another question. How likely do you guys think it would be for me to find a Dual 2.0 G5 with bluetooth/airport built in already on the shelf somewhere? Do the retail stores typically keep common build-to-order options in stock at the store?

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You can easily add the module later if you wish, but the bluetooth will be external.

I hope you'll read my recent posts regarding choices between 2.0 2.3 2.5 PowerMacs.

I doubt you'll find any on the shelf preconfigured with AP & BT

Most resellers carry only the base units.

6. kbonnel macrumors 6502

If you search the web, you can find used Mac shops that sell the bluetooth module that comes from the factory.

I personally would order stock, giving you the option to return the machine if you have too (what ever the reason). When you BTO you lose that option. The only option I would change would be the video card, but even then I am usually happy with the default card.

Kimo