Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Here.

It gives you the full visuals as you change the options, colour, body style etc.

I just specced a 911 Turbo to £116K. What a dreamer...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Wide choice of colours there... any colour you want... as long as it's grey, gray or grey'ish :p

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Mmm...fun stuff.

Porsches are nice, however in the same category I'd prefer a Lotus. :D

marc exige.jpg

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
OutThere said:
Mmm...fun stuff.

marc exige.jpg

They're only loosely in the same category. While Porsche has a racing image, their cars aren't really that fast (compared to comparably priced sports cars), they offer a wide variety of luxury features, which Lotus offers none of. And as a side note, Porsche's are elegant and Lotuses aren't in the slightest.

My favorite Porsche (barring the Carrera GT) is a very nicely configured Cayman S that i rang up at about $82k USD

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
OutThere said:
Mmm...fun stuff.

A Lotus isn't really in the same category as a 911Turbo, (but they're top cars all the same).

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
They're only loosely in the same category. While Porsche has a racing image, their cars aren't really that fast

So you wouldn't consider 193MPH really that fast for a £98K car? I'd say that's quite fast, especially as a Ferrari F430 for £15-20K more does 196MPH and the 911T is quicker in acceleration.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
AlBDamned said:
So you wouldn't consider 193MPH really that fast for a £98K car? I'd say that's quite fast, especially as a Ferrari F430 for £15-20K more does 196MPH and the 911T is quicker in acceleration.

Either way, you lose your license. ;) :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
If someone gave you £120K, would you really buy a Porsche?

Perhaps it's just me but I think they're very dated looking cars now. Working in Chelsea, I see several every day and they do nothing for me. I just think 'vulgar yuppie' - perhaps too many memories of the late 80s

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Having driven a few different Porsches and a number of Lotus' finest around Silverstone I'd have to say, hands down, a Lotus would win any time of any day ever.

Far, far more fun to drive - but an involved drive. If you want to sit back and relax at speed, get a Porsche. If you want to throw yourself round corners and end up *very* close to trees, get a Lotus.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Applespider said:

Perhaps it's just me but I think they're very dated looking cars now. Working in Chelsea, I see several every day and they do nothing for me. I just think 'vulgar yuppie' - perhaps too many memories of the late 80s
Honestly? Abso-freakin-lutely. I will say that porsche's looks aren't for everyone, but I think it's a timeless design which has evolved very well. I don't think it looks dated at all, but I'm a huge Porsche fan.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
To me, there are precious few cars made that look better than a 911 Turbo or a 911 GT3. Since I'll never be fortunate enough to drive them, I'm going on looks alone.

I might take a Ferrari 430 Spider over a Porsche, but likely not...again, based on looks. :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Applespider said:
Here in Fitzrovia the only thing breaking up the wall-to-wall Porsches are the Mercedes and Range Rovers, but I still wouldn't mind one of those little two seaters ones in dark blue.

However, it's one of those things that would leave such an enormous hole in my bank balance that I'd regret buying it instantly, so I'll stick with my beat up motorbike I think :)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Applespider said:

I'm not sure. If someone gave me £120k I doubt the first thing I'd think of would be a car.

However, if it had to be a car - one car - for that sort of money, I think anyone would have to consider the Porsche.

An Aston DB9, an F430, all would be good to try out. Of course, at 6'5" I'm not sure which one would be the most suitable. I drove a 355 before and it was pretty uncomfortable after about 10 minutes even with the seat all the way back. Maybe I'd have to get a spyder/volante/roof chop. ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
AlBDamned said:

The 911 Turbo is quite fast, but models such as the 911 Cabriolet and the Boxster are not nearly so fast for their price.

C

CompUser

My dad's boss (CEO of company) has a 2005 911 Carrera. I wish my dad had one :)

They are beautiful cars.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I heard that Porsches have a clutch that's really meant to be driven hard, while other cars that can accelerate from 0-100 in like 4 seconds really can't do it more than once or twice. Yes, you can accelerate within very short times, but you'd have to replace the clutch every time you did it, and this wasn't true about Porsches because of the clutch. Don't know if that's true or not.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Here's the one I get to drive (purple trees and all):

62049592.fTVdfzR0.jpg

Its not a turbo, but it gets the job done. The lotus and porsche are entirely different cars. The lotus is one of the most amazing cars ever made. It has incredible handling and you would be hard pressed to find a car at that price that you could drive faster. You give stuff up for that speed though, namely refinement. The porshce has wonderful handling also, is pretty fast, and has pretty high handling limits as well. I can see owning a porsche as my primary driver, but I can't say the same of the lotus.

One of my parents friends has a Carrera GT. I'm just itching to drive it... but don't have enough courage. Its one thing to spin out in a lowly boxster, its quite another thing to do that in a car that costs more then alot of houses.

azerivista.com

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
cars

You could get an older porsche, and it would only be around 15 G.
Those are nice cars- thanks for showing them:)
Anna

L

Lau

That was fun. :) But I also would buy a car for 10 grand or less and pocket the extra. :cool:

Picture 2.png

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
how come you can't customize a carrera gt?

IMO, the GT is awesome, better than the benz slr mclaren

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.