Building a PC

Discussion in 'Community' started by keysersoze, Sep 15, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hey All,

Sorry to post a PC thread here at MacRumors, but maybe someone will be able to help. I am a Mac user always/all the time, but am going to attempt to "build" a PC. Low cost is most important, and a decent processor a close second. This is for my ma, so no gaming.

If someone has time, could they look over these components and tell me if they will work together? I think I've got it, but would like verification... I don't have much of a clue about some things, like power supplies etc. Many thanks!

Case: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-154-016&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

CD Drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-151-208&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

Hard Drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-140-133&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

MoBo:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-157-022&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-379&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

RAM, Mouse, Keyboard...:
    I already have this stuff.

Cables? Fans? I bet I need some of those too. Oy.

2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

All of this will work together just fine and will be perfectly adequate for your mom.

-jeff

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Sounds like it'll all work together. The only think I'm not sure about anymore is the power supply... it's 250W and I'm not sure what kind of power you'll need for this computer.

Your case is MicroATX and so is the motherboard.

Your CPU will fit in the motherboard.

The DVD/CD-Rom drive and hard drive will pretty much fit in any computer.

And since you have RAM and all that other stuff you should be good to go. I don't think you'll need any additional cables or fans.

Good luck!

4. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hey thanks a lot guys! It's nice to have some reassurance. The total is a little under $250! :eek:

I think she be pleasantly happy with the upgrade over her 4-year old Gateway. :)

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

6. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

OK, I'll look into that. It was one of my bigger concerns. What you see is about what the machine will run. No extra PCI cards or external add-ons. Not sure how much power is actually needed.

Edit: My God! that's a great resource. I'll print it all off and go over it. Thanks again!

7. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hmmm. AMD apparently frowns upon Front Inlet Power Supplies, which this has. I imagine it would not be too big of a problem, considering I don't see the computer overheating with what she will be running. still reading...

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

One thing that you might consider, is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

I say this for the following reasons:

1. To make a backup system to make it easier to do a restore should the system go south on you.

2. To backup your ma's files on a regular basis.

3. Who knows, she may someday want to share something with her friends. Burning a CD may just be the easiest way.

Other than that, looks good. Love the AMD 2500+ Easy to overclock for added performance.

Sushi

9. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Looks good for a nice cheap machine. Two things I would say, is double check your RAM is right for the motherboard and consider getting even the most basic of graphic cards. I have always found onboard video cards to be terrible. I don't know what your ma will be using it for but whatever people I know have been doing they feel you get a big speed boost with a proper graphics card. Maybe onboard cards have got better since I last used one but I think it is something to consider.

Good luck with it, building the PC is the easy part the annoying painstaking part is installing all the OS, software and drivers.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Its not as hard as people make it out to be. I just reloaded my sisters pc after she had it for 3 years. It took me all of an hour and everything was up and running.

11. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Thanks for all the input! I placed the order with NewEgg, so I'll have some fun putting this thing together. If I run into problems, I'll return to this thread for sure.

One thing I don't quite get is the modem. I know I'll need one, but this MoBo only has a modem platform or something like that. I imagine I can get a cheap PCI modem and plug it in. I'll let you all know how it turns out! :)

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

One hour? Yeah right! What did you install, DOS?

How big was the HD? Did you wipe the disk, then do a full format?

Did you install all the patches/updates?

Did you install all of the security updates?

What about Norton/McAfee etc?

Did you install all the updates for each application that you installed?

All this takes time. Especially if you must DL the patches/updates.

I find it very hard to believe that you completely reloaded your sister's relatively old as in slow PC in an hour. Let's be serious here.

Sushi

13. rand() macrumors regular

Wipe & format HD - 15 min. on a medium-large sized hard drive.

Reinstall of Win XP - 30-40 min. on a 1-1.5 GHz machine, with decent RAM. (The extra 10m is in case you have to put the "would you unlock my freaking MACHINE" call in to Microsoft when XP freaks out about your "already registered" license key. This, in fact, probably would put you over the '1 hour' time.)

Locate & install Graphics, Sound, and Network drivers - 10-15 min. with the OEM discs.

That's "everything up and running" on approx. 3 year old hardware. Meaning all the hardware works, and you have control of the OS. Between 55 and 70 minutes, total.

Granted, those other things (patches & updates, Antivirus software) are *extremely* important. But they aren't inclusive in "everything up and running." Because, technically, he had everything up and running. Just not entirely safely, with regards to being on the Internet.

Also, I move we ban the use of the phrase, "I find it hard to believe." It just annoys me.

Now had he said, "I had it set up to SP2, MS Office, Adobe CS and DV apps, all updated and editing my thesis, while running Firefox 1.0PR," that I'd find hard to believe.

-rand()

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Obviously your definition of up and running and mine are very different.

Sure glad that you aren't the crew chief for an aircraft that I am going to fly.

Sushi

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I installed windows xp with sp2 on a 30 gig hd. I used a quick format because the hd was already formated in ntfs. There were very few updates and patches because sp2 is pretty up to date. Norton 2004 was installed and the virus defs were updated. Drivers are a no brainer. You just have to know your hardware and they are easy to find. (I actually spent about 15 mins the day before getting them and burning them to cd. You probably should add this to the total time too.) And yes, if you get the right drivers, 99.99% of the time they just work after you install them. MS Office was installed and patched as well. Firefox .0.93 (or something like that) was installed. Even though it is around 3 years old, it is a 1ghz p3 with 512megs ram. I think by most people's definitions, it is pretty complete install.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You've answered my questions. As I thought, you didn't do it within an hour.

Additionally, you took some shortcuts to reduce time (pre DL'ed some files, already had SP2, did a quick format, didn't complete a disk wipe nor a disk check, etc.).

In the future, let's be accurate in our info. Afterall, the fellow that we are trying to help is doing this for the first time.

Sushi

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There was no reason to do a full format or a disk check. I thought that anyone would see that is is a reinstall not the first install. I guess I was wrong. Plus, you are foolish not to have the drivers downloaded before hand. If you can't find them, then you may be screwed. Did you ever try to get online when you don't have the drivers for your ethernet card that is not supported by the windows drivers? I wasn't trying to tell him that he would be able to do it in an hour. I'd guess that if he knows windows at all and knows the hardware (which is should since he is buying it) that It should take about 2 to 2.5 hours.

18. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I don't know either! :)

But that's half the fun of it. I don't care if it takes 10 hours to do... I am sure I will learn quite a bit... (and will be reminded yet again why Macs are great)

:)

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

since when are shortcuts banned ? ;)

on topic:
    before going in the internet: switch on the windows internal firewall (kerio personal firewall is better but you have to downlaod it first..and i won't risk that without firewall).. easily forgotten but important ;)
    oh and don't forgot to install other browser (firefox) or browser/mail combo(mozilla)
    these two measures and common sense with incoming files keep away pretty much everything
    (i'm running a completly unpatched windows XP pro since 2002...)

for hardware: look out if you can install the CPU on the motherboard when you already have it in the case..i installed a motherboard once and recognized later that i can't isntall the CPU + cooler with the motherbaord in the case...

20. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Good deal. Thanks for the info. My first task is getting all the parts to stick together... then I'll worry about software.

The AMD workpages said to install the HD and CD drive into the case first. Then put the CPU on the MoBo. Then put the MoBo in the case. I imagine once I get all of the pieces I'll have a better idea of how it will work...

And I do have experience taking computers apart and putting them back together... so I'm not completely lost... but they were all macs. :)

21. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

GOOD NEWS!

It lives!

BAD NEWS!

I had no idea until two days ago that I would need a windows BOOT DISK! I must be really retarded or something-- you can all laugh at me. So I had to order a stupid stinkin floppy drive from Newegg today... so I can install winblows. And then the floppy drive will never be used again. What a sham I tell ya.

But on a good note, the fans all work, the CD drive opens, the BIOS screen startsup and recognizes the CPU... no catastrophe's yet! :)

22. ToddW macrumors 6502a

what version of windows, i know xp is bootable from the cd-rom you set that up in the bios.

23. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Sorry guys, this is a really DUMB question.

Here it goes...

I have Windows ME. Which I think sucks. I would really like to put Windows XP on this machine, but will I be able to install a legitimately owned copy of Office 2000 on it? Or do I need to get Windows 2000?

I'd prefer to make use of the Office 2000, rather than shell out for the newest version.

My creation is almost complete! :)

24. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    you should be able to .. im using Office 97 on this machine. :D

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I ran Office 2000 on my xp box for a little while, it worked fine. That was before sp1, but I bet it will still work. Just be warned. MS doesn't even comform to their own standards. Compatibility between office versions is not always great. If someone gives you a .doc from office xp it may have some formating issues. The reverse is also true.