Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
My fraternity is getting ready to have it's annual pool party. We finished building a 15,000 gallon indoor pool yesterday. This morning, right after we finished filling it up, one of the sides collapsed and the entire contents of the pool rushed down a stairwell and filled our basement ankle-deep. It took an hour and a half of squeegeeing to get all the water out. Despite this setback I'm still looking forward to the party. This will be my first one.

140427703_a97bcceafd.jpg

140427704_d4cbc6f4ca.jpg

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
adk said:
what did you use to try and hold up the sides of the pool? I know one fraternity at my school tried to use sandbags but it just got really messy.
We are using 2x4s that run from the pool sides to the walls. We have a setup that we've been using for about a decade that amazingly still works. Someone forgot to screw down one of the supports yesterday so when it slid out of place that's what caused the accident this morning.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Oryan said:
We are using 2x4s that run from the pool sides to the walls. We have a setup that we've been using for about a decade that amazingly still works. Someone forgot to screw down one of the supports yesterday so when it slid out of place that's what caused the accident this morning.
Sounds like the contractors on my school projects are moonlighting...

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
TKE here got shut down for doing cocaine with Steve-o from Jackass. But I know a few of them and they are all really nice.

Phi Kappa Sigma have a real pool outside their house and they always have a huge bash at the end of year.

Have fun with the pool, i think we will do that next year at my house, thanks for the idea :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Oryan said:
My fraternity is getting ready to have it's annual pool party. We finished building a 15,000 gallon indoor pool yesterday. This morning, right after we finished filling it up, one of the sides collapsed and the entire contents of the pool rushed down a stairwell and filled our basement ankle-deep. It took an hour and a half of squeegeeing to get all the water out. Despite this setback I'm still looking forward to the party. This will be my first one.

140427703_a97bcceafd.jpg

140427704_d4cbc6f4ca.jpg

A school of engineers and you can't even build a pool :D

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
lilstewart said:
:eek:

Woah, that's cool. It's probably gonna be cold, no?
Actually we pulled most of the water from our boiler so pool was actually steaming a little last night.

stonyc said:
I don't think so... *pictures hot girls helping to keep the pool warm*
*crosses fingers* :D

yg17 said:
A school of engineers and you can't even build a pool :D
Yeah, we were joking about that. It's tradition that the seniors build the pool. You'd think they'd have learned something by now...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
4JNA said:
if i remember right, 'jungle punch' turns both hot and cold into 'groovy'. i don't remember temperature making much difference :rolleyes: :cool:
You all call it 'jungle punch?' I've only heard 'jungle juice.' Ick. Horrid horrid stuff.

Sorry, I'm not big on the whole Greek life thing.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
macOSX-tastic said:
being from the UK, i dont get the greek alphabet thing....is it similar to student hall rivalry? we have a lot of that here.

someone please explain!!!!

S

:D

Hmmmm....tough question. Ever seen Animal House with John Belushi? Or Revenge of the Nerds? Colleges here in the US have fraternity and sorority organizations, which, for want of a better term, are clubs. These "clubs" have nationwide membership at colleges throughout the US. Many times, they have houses, where the members can stay. Much drinking occurs and many of the best parties are held at the houses. Getting into the organizations involves initiation rites and sponsorships by existing members. All the fraternitites and sororites are identifies by the Greek alphabet.

Does that help?

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
devilot said:
You all call it 'jungle punch?' I've only heard 'jungle juice.' Ick. Horrid horrid stuff.

Sorry, I'm not big on the whole Greek life thing.
Mmmmmm... jungle juice. The best was the morning after... jungle juice breakfast: the left over oranges, melons, and other assorted fruits that had become "marinated" in alcohol. :)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
stonyc said:
Mmmmmm... jungle juice. The best was the morning after... jungle juice breakfast: the left over oranges, melons, and other assorted fruits that had become "marinated" in alcohol. :)

There is nothing better than a trash can filled with Hawaiian Punch, Everclear, and assorted fruits, all being stirred by a broomstick.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
grapes911 said:
There is nothing better than a trash can filled with Hawaiian Punch, Everclear, and assorted fruits, all being stirred by a broomstick.

In my mind Jungle juice is Grain Alcohol(Everclear is a good choice) and Kool-Aide. Fruit of course is good and absorbs all the yummy booziness.

I've heard people say Gin and Vodka, but thats just wrong in my book.

Man, I want to drink...

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
MongoTheGeek said:
In my mind Jungle juice is Grain Alcohol(Everclear is a good choice) and Kool-Aide. Fruit of course is good and absorbs all the yummy booziness.

2-3 bottles of Everclear with about 10 Gallons of Hawaiian punch. 2 dozen oranges, 1 dozen grapefruits, limes, and lemons, and tons of grapes. Perfect for a BBQ. We'd eat the fruit too so all the "yummy booziness" absorbed by it didn't go to waste.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
devilot said:
We just refer to it as "tea".

grapes911 said:
I remember the first time I saw such a concoction. I was quite shocked.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
grapes911 said:
2-3 bottles of Everclear with about 10 Gallons of Hawaiian punch. 2 dozen oranges, 1 dozen grapefruits, limes, and lemons, and tons of grapes. Perfect for a BBQ. We'd eat the fruit too so all the "yummy booziness" absorbed by it didn't go to waste.

We used to call it "Purple Jesus."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.