Building External Hard Drive Please Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spelunker1, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Spelunker1 macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2007
    New York City
    Hey. I'm really interested in getting an external HD for my macbook...However, I'm trying to build it myself. So any suggestions as to which HD's / Enclosures work the best thru a FW400 / USB2.0 port would be great. I'm trying to build a 400-500GB drive. Thanks guys. :)
  2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
  3. Americanloti macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006
    You can use pretty much use any HD or enclosure, it really depends on your budget. I just bought this enclosure from It is a bit pricey, but it has everything I need: USB 2.0 FW400/800 and it's RAID 0. I just popped in my 2 WD 300GB SATA Drives and now I have a very nice 600GB Storage unit!
  4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
    I'd recommend this Icydock enclosure:

It works with an eSATA drive, which usually are very large in storage size. The enclosure is the best-looking one I've seen; furthermore, the way you install the HD is very unique and extremely simple.

It seems to be designed with mac users in mind.
  5. Locatel macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2006
    Good quality enclosures are not cheap. The chipset quality is important so, if you want to built a good quality external HD (using a reputable HD), you'll end up saving $20 to $30, it's just not worth it, believe me. Get one from OWC. The Mercury Elite Pro Aluminum USB 2.0 + FW 400, 500GB, costs $249.99.
    The unit is covered by a 2 year warranty + 3 year warranty for the HD (total of 5 years for the HD). They use Seagate HDs, check it out: