building you wow character

Discussion in 'Games' started by bokdol, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

so i did not want to thread jack this one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=188388

but had alot of questions after reading this.

i was wondering whats a good way to build a hunter character. i was looking at the talents and just wanted to ask around if anyone had any ideas. some people have said markmanship and beast mastery as the talent you should pool from. but i like survival. it would be great for pvp play as your going slow down a character alot with it.
    so if you have any ideas please post them. or any characters that you have made that is very effective,

this is what i was planing making as a hunter.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...000000000000000050511305000003305052002303041

i have a orc warrior that is about half and half on fury and weapons

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Basically it's up to you. If you like survival, go for it.

Most people (including me) go for Marksman tree for the +crits (which is key), and Beast for the +stats to your pets.

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Wouldnt you be better suited on the WoW forums?

though i know they can be quite elitist, trollish and rude. So maybe posting here WAS a good call.

4. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion, developed over about a year of playing the game on a couple of different servers.

It depends on how you want to play.

Personally, I think that marksmanship (with a little bit of beast mastery) is the best way for you to grind your way up to level 60.

On the beast master tree, I didn't worry about anything that helped my pet do damage, but instead focused on its speed and survivability. As long as it stays alive, and stays between me and whatever I'm fighting, my arrows take it down pretty quickly. (Once I got to 50, I made sure I had enough points in beast mastery that I could grab at least one point of "improved mend pet", since that gives you a chance to remove curses, poisons, and disease from your pet. This is really important in the plaguelands.

Once you get to 60, you should think about if you are going to spend more time doing 5-man instances, solo grinding (for gold, items, and reputation), raids, or PvP.

Hunters are a lot of fun to play, and they are relatively easy to level. So (on my server, at least) they are a dime-a-dozen, and unless you are in a tight-knit group of friends or a guild, raid invitations might be tough to come by. So PvP and grinding are probably the two most viable options.

Again, this is just my humble opinion, but here are where I'd concentrate for different modes of play:

Solo outdoor grinding (marksmanship and beast mastery)
    5-man instances (the same)
    Large-scale raids (markmanship and survival)
    PvP (marksmanship and survival)

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I would agree 100% with CoffeeMonkey's assessment. My server is also rife with hunters.

I suspect they will get nerf'd sooner rather then later. :)

6. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i like it here.:)

7. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

raids and pvp is what i would like to do. i love fighting against real people online. i would love castle sieges someday. but any way yeah i would probably be doing a crapload of pvp stuff. but i figure i would have to do instances to get some good stuff.

8. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

Actually, there is some *really* nice hunter gear that you can get as PvP rewards. So if 5-man instances and raids aren't your style, you really don't have to do them.

If you pick a couple of gathering professions (mining, skinning, herbalism), and gather trade goods to sell at the auction house as you grind, you'll have plenty of cash to buy good gear (and your mount!) on the AH. It helps to watch the auction house, so that you know what are good prices for both selling your trade goods and buying items.

Being on a relatively new server helps here, because commodity prices tend to be a lot higher on newer servers. (Of course, high-end gear tends to be more rare on new servers, driving those prices up too, but I think that the net effect benefits the gatherers).

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You will definitely need to be part of raids on ZG to get good hunter gear.