Building your own hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adk, Nov 20, 2005.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm looking for an external hard drive and I'm also cheap. How difficult is it to put an internal hard drive into an external case, and how much work does it take to set up? also, are there certain hard drives that are mac compatible and ones that aren't?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Two minutes and a Phillips screwdriver.

No, any IDE hard drive will do the trick. The enclosure should be Firewire or Firewire/USB and should have it's own AC power supply. Some USB bus-powered enclosures aren't Mac compatible.

Look for a hard drive that comes with the full (3 to 5 year) manufacturer's warranty. Avoid 'recertified', reconditioned or 'pull' hard drives that don't come with a written warranty from the manufacturer.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

sounds easy. once i have it put together is is plug and play or do I need to still set it up?

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

It will be recognized as soon as you plug it in, though you may need to use Disk Utility to format the drive if it is new, or has been used in a windows system. You would prefer HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format over a windows FAT 32 format.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You need to format and optionally partition the hard drive with Disk Utility

6. Err macrumors member

darn, I was hoping this thread was about "building your own harddrive" like soldering dimm chips into a breadboard LOL

7. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

man u joking, that would be well harsh :eek:

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Get a circular disc, preferably ferrous metal like steel, and stroke it with a magnet a few thousand times and then.......
    Oh buqqer, just read the OP properly.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Yeah same, after opening all threads in tabs and saving this one 'til last. :(

10. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Sorry to dissapoint you guys. But with my complete lack of computer skills it would be an achievement just to attach a hard drive to an enclosure!

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

...that, and, now i'm assuming here so stop me if i'm wrong, but your complete lack of a dust free lab...