Building your own mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Storrow, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Storrow macrumors regular

May 25, 2006
    so since mac runs on intel now whats stopping me from buying a case throwing an intel motherboard and processor in it and installing OSX? Is it possible to build a computer from scratch and instead of installing Bill install Steve?

if its possible im going to do it today.
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Possible yes, but do a search on these forums for OSX on Intel or OSX on x86 and you'll see all the issues involved really don't make it worth it.
  3. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

May 25, 2006
    actually i think i already know the answer, is it because OSX only supports the hardware apple programs it for?
  4. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    In a word : No!

Reason? EFI. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but it isn't possible to grab a bunch of components and get them to work together off the shelf.

If price is your issue, check out the new iMac. At $999 it's a steal - and the Mac Mini is great value too.
  5. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

May 25, 2006
    ok ill search that
  6. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

May 25, 2006

money isnt an issue i just think it would fun to try :)
  7. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    First off you're breaking the law by installing MacOS X on a non-mac computer.

Secondly, you're not going to find an EFI based motherboard for sale. They just don't exist. Macs use EFI the same way they used Open Firmware, or PCs use BIOS. It's just completely different.

Third, Why?
  8. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

May 25, 2006
    chiiiiiilllllll not trying to break the law just thought it was interesting.
  9. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    Yes it will work
    Yes it is illegal
    Yes it is impractical, you'll spend more time getting it to work than actually using the computer.
  10. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    EFI is not needed but the amount of compatible hardware is limited in any case, Previous posters are correct when they say you'll spend more time geting it working right than actually using it. Its more of a tweaker's toy to have fun with rather than making something useable with it.
  11. stapler macrumors member

Sep 3, 2006
    Let's just say it's not a "double-click to install" sort of deal.
  12. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    You will end up in PMITA prison with the child molestors and serial killers! Don't do it!
  13. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    First step: Buy a MacMini, which comes with MacOS X, delete it from the MacMini, turning it into a nice looking tiny bit of junk, and then it may be (or may be not) legal to install it on that PC. That would be against the MacOS X license agreement which may or may not be binding. Remember that installing a copy of MacOS X is definitely illegal.

Now what would be really cool: Buy an old Macintosh cube. Find a PC motherboard that fits, add a 2.66 GHz dual core Conroe, and a big harddisk, and make it all work. Since it is an Apple-labelled computer, your chances that installing MacOS X for Intel is legal are much better. And it would be cool!