Building Your Own Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ectocooler, Apr 20, 2003.

1. ectocooler macrumors member

Alright! Who has built their own mac here? How possible is it? How much does it cost? What should I use for a case?

Post your thoughts on building a mac! Or experiences!

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It's not the same since Apple stopped sublicensing manufactures like UMAX. Though the licensed "clone" machines were allegedly not as solid as the ones that Apple built.

Basically, you could create a Frankenstein computer, hack apart parts from other machines and combine them.

I don't think it would be worth the time or effort.

Most everything about Macs is proprietary, unlike the WinTel world. This is one of the reasons that Apples (regardless of OS) are more reliable than equivalent competitors. Parameters are tightly controlled and the OS and processor seem to co-evolve, and thus are integrated better.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: Building Your Own Mac

I've always considered it. You would have to buy a board from ebay and get the drive (hard and optical) and the ram and processor card. The Gigabit ethernet boards are the easiest to find. And they fit into a standard ATX case. All in all when I priced it for a few hundred more you could buy a low end power mac and get a superior computer. Although I was going to buy a new case for my Gigabit ethernet G4 dual 450 so I could pop another optical drive or two into it (superdrive yummy) DVD Rom DVD-R and a fast CD-RW. Talk about a nice mac