built in isight "not plugged in"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by neoring, Jun 26, 2006.

1. neoring macrumors newbie

I've had this problem (on an off) since about day 3 with my macbook. The iSight camera is not being detected. Photobooth says its either not plugged in or being used by another program (which it isnt). I'm probably going to have to take it back arent I? And start from scratch?

2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Yea thats not normal, it should work right out of the box. You probably should give Apple a call.

3. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Just to iron out the obvious, are you sure iChat isn't running in the background utilising the iSight?

4. iShane macrumors 6502a

Yea if iChats running even if you're not doing a video chat or something like that it still says that the camera is in use.

5. neoring thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never even used iChat. Except for this morning to see if it would work. And then I needed an account, which I didnt bother signing up for. Then I rebooted a few times to no avail. So I'm thinking I need a new macbook. Can I keep my harddrive though?

6. encro macrumors 6502

encro

I'd recommend taking it back to the store.

If they do find a problem they will either repair or replace the machine.
    If they replace the machine you may be able to use the migration assistant to help you bring all your info on to the new machine.

Backup anything important just to be on the safe side.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Another thing to check with iChat is to ensure that it's not in the Login Items (System Prefs -> Accounts -> Login Items) and thus being loaded upon each reboot. It's a long shot, but worth a check before going back into the store.

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

On the other hand, there's no reason they couldn't swap out your drive for you.

9. neoring thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing in system prefs etc. I suppose a trip to the store is in order. And why COULDNT they swap out my harddrive? From what I've seen its rather simple.

10. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

They would never do something like this in the store. Your best bet would be for them to let you use migration assistant if they will exchange your macbook.