Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DubbaJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Sarnia, ON, Canada
Hi all,

I've had my MacBook for about 3 months now, and recently I'm having a problem with the iSight camera. I searched the forums (and various others around the 'net with little success) but couldn't find a mention of this here.

When I got my MacBook, the iSight worked great - I took my picture during the initial set up; messed around with the effects in Photo Booth a little (it's my first Mac) - but then I didn't really use it much for the next while.

Recently, when I try to use it (I launch Photo Booth for example) I get a message that no camera is found attached to the system (or is busy - but I've ruled that out - this happens even when I try to use it right upon a fresh startup with nothing else running). I've tried a sort of reset I've come across (remove the battery, hold the power button) with no success.

What is particularly odd though is once in a while, upon a fresh boot, it works!! Lo and behold tho, shortly there after I have the same issue.

Has anyone heard/seen this? Fixed it themselves?

Thanks everyone!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'm not sure if I've heard of this problem, but I can offer a couple of things to try.

1. Have you repaired permissions?
2. If you create a new user account does the problem persist?
2.a If the problem goes away with the new user account, try using Spotlight to find the file com.apple.isight.plist (or something similar) which I imagine exists in your preferences folder. Drag this to the desktop and try using the camera again. a logout/login may be required.

Check back in afterwards to let us know how it goes.

BTW, the type of reset you're talking about is a PMU reset.

DubbaJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Sarnia, ON, Canada
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm at work at the moment, but I'll try them out later and report back from home.

One question - how do I repair permissions?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
DubbaJ said:
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm at work at the moment, but I'll try them out later and report back from home.

One question - how do I repair permissions?

Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Open up Disk Utility, select your hard drive from the list at left, then choose 'Repair Permissions'.

DubbaJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Sarnia, ON, Canada
Awesome ! Even easier than I imagined! :D

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated! I'll report back once I escape the void that is work!

saga

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
DubbaJ said:
Hi all,

I've had my MacBook for about 3 months now, and recently I'm having a problem with the iSight camera. I searched the forums (and various others around the 'net with little success) but couldn't find a mention of this here.

When I got my MacBook, the iSight worked great - I took my picture during the initial set up; messed around with the effects in Photo Booth a little (it's my first Mac) - but then I didn't really use it much for the next while.

Recently, when I try to use it (I launch Photo Booth for example) I get a message that no camera is found attached to the system (or is busy - but I've ruled that out - this happens even when I try to use it right upon a fresh startup with nothing else running). I've tried a sort of reset I've come across (remove the battery, hold the power button) with no success.

What is particularly odd though is once in a while, upon a fresh boot, it works!! Lo and behold tho, shortly there after I have the same issue.

Has anyone heard/seen this? Fixed it themselves?

Thanks everyone!

Hey Dubba,
Check out one of my first threads on this forum, and it may be a little dissapointing. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/210165/. Same thing. When you get home, I would check out your "about this mac" window, and click on the usb option under hardware. If the camera is connected, it should be recognized as a usb connection. If not, there is a real good chance you have to send it in for repair. Mine was repaired real well, but as you can read from my post on this, is that I was not happy with some aspects of the applecare. Sorry dude, I wish you well.

DubbaJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Sarnia, ON, Canada
saga said:
Hey Dubba,
Check out one of my first threads on this forum, and it may be a little dissapointing. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/210165/. Same thing. When you get home, I would check out your "about this mac" window, and click on the usb option under hardware. If the camera is connected, it should be recognized as a usb connection. If not, there is a real good chance you have to send it in for repair. Mine was repaired real well, but as you can read from my post on this, is that I was not happy with some aspects of the applecare. Sorry dude, I wish you well.

No need to be sorry!! This will be a major bummer if this is the case, but I appreciate the input!

I'll be sure to check that when I get home too. Thanks!

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I had the same problem with my MacBook and had it fixed with Apple. They ordered the parts on a Friday night, received them on a Thursday, I gave them my computer Thursday night, and it was ready Saturday night. Simple, easy, and it worked.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Question, did you install the latest verison of Boot Camp to your MacBook? If so, there may be a bug in there. I had that problem where I had installed the latest version of BootCamp and it caused my iSight to no longer appear, even after a fresh install of the OS. Later on it did come back though. Try reinstalling the OS because most likely thats what Apple is going to try first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.