Built-in iSight question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamescwarren, May 28, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I have got a 2 GHz 1 GB RAM 120 GB HD and was wondering a few things about the new built-in iSight. Can I use it with Mercury Messenger, aMSN and iStopMotion? Also, has anyone made a hack or script or anything like that or know of one so I can use the built-in iSight with MSN Messenger in Parallels. That's all I would use Windows for. And also, does the built in mic pick up in Parallels? Thanks.

2. jive macrumors 6502a

3. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Do you reckon it will work with Adium when the much awaited A/V version comes out?

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I don't see why not...if it doesn't that's pretty dumb!

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. Apple have not written Windows drivers and the specs are closed and tightly controlled so you are not likely to see open-source drivers any time soon.

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Fingers crossed then! But as to when such a version of Adium may appear... :rolleyes:

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Now I wonder if the next version of Adium when it finally supports video, would it work with the external iSight? I've been tempted to buy one...

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, don't hold your breath on this.... :( Someone claimed that Google's Summer of Code program would be supporting GAIM webcam this year, but if you look at all the past projects like gaim-vv, they seem to be in disarray. And when I google for discussions of GAIM webcam development, I see little dated past October/November of last year....

It's in Google's personal interest to at least help GAIM develop voice/video for GTalk, so that GTalk users on non-Windows platforms can use this feature. But yeah. I think this is a ways off.

Maybe push for Trillian to get ported to OS X instead? :eek: (Of course, considering a discussion thread on this topic has been running on Trillian's forum for four years with little in the way of interest suggests that this is yet again a reason to hold one's breath... :eek: )

Ahhh, yep, guess we're back to hoping someone can make the iSight work in Parallels or BootCamp?

11. backupdrummer macrumors regular

backupdrummer

Don't forget Skype for mac. They have stated that the video version of thier clinet will be available by the end of June I think. They just pulled out the universal binary version of the non video client and god willing will have the video version out soon.

http://share.skype.com/sites/mac/