built-in menu extras keep freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FredAkbar, Aug 30, 2004.

1. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Okay I did a search for this, and found a few threads that were about the same topic, and I read them, but they're all months or years old so I didn't want to bump those. Basically my Apple menu extras (the whole portion of the menu bar with the clock, sound, etc.) sometimes gets frozen (if I hover over it, I just get the beachball) and won't get unfrozen until I log out or restart. My 3rd-party menu extras are always fine, I guess because they're controlled separately. At first I had sound, clock, and the user switching menu on there, but I took out sound and user switching, but it still does it. It's only started recently. I would've suspected it's a 10.3.5 problem, but users in the past have experienced it too.

I learned from the other threads that SystemUIServer is causing the problem. I was able to force-quit it (which takes the clock away), but Finder won't let me open it back up (it appears to just be an app in /System/Library/CoreServices), it says an unexpected error occured, error code -600, so I can't make the clock and stuff show up again without logging out or whatever. Does anyone know how I can fix the stuck clock without having to logout? It's inconvenient to quit everything and log out each time, especially if I'm talking on Adium or something.

2. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Whoa, SystemUIServer must have somehow relaunched itself just now, as I just noticed my clock is back and working again, and I haven't done anything...well, I plugged in my iPod and it synched it, but that couldn't be related, could it?