Bulk mailing in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by colinet, May 16, 2005.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

I have a folder in Mail where I have collected emails from people who want to buy one of my books by mail when it's published as it's only coming out in Australia at the moment. I now want to send them all an email and tell them it's finally available.

I know there are programmes that will bulk mail using your address book but I don't want to do that - I just want to email the people in this specific Mail folder.

Can I do this?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This sounds like something that you could do with AppleScript.

3. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Well umm, although I've had computers since 1982 the furthest I delved was writing my own accounts software in Basic on my old BBC computer. Since then, well to put it bluntly, your answer should read - "This sounds like something someone but probably not you could do with Applescript" :(

Now, if it could be done in Photoshop, then i'm your man . . .

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Maybe Automator could make itself useful here. I myself am yet to find a use for it but I am looking forward to it. Programming for the simple folks!

5. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Then you should definitely look into Automator. It is all about Applescript for non-scripters.

I just looked at it quickly and there appears to be an easy way to send bulk email to a group of people from your Address Book. You could select all the emails in Mail, choose "Add senders to Address Book" then create a smart group in Address Book that filters for, say, people without a phone number. Check over the group for errors (plus, some may need their name inputed manually) and then use Automator to send an email to that group. Then delete that group.

Now, I haven't actually done this, but it seems like it should work. Others might have more Automator experience than me.

6. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Just downloaded MaxBulk Mailer which is at the very moment sending out my email to all the people in my chosen folder. At least, it seems to be. Have to wait and see what replies I get!!

Thanks all.

UPDATE - MaxBulk Mailer has just told me it's sent all the mail.