BULLDOG ADSL 2 - anyone upgraded yet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eyup, Sep 14, 2006.

1. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

Hi,

I'm on 8mb Bulldog and wondering whether to upgrade to the 16mb ADSL 2 service. - It would even work out cheaper - tho I think I'd be tied to a 12mth contract.

Anybody got experience with it outside of London? How's it for games etc?

cheers

2. dcv macrumors G3

My advice is... "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

I recently switched from a very old up-to-2MB Bulldog service to up-to-24MB broadband with Be.

Really wish I hadn't.

The modem claims it's connecting at around 9.5 or 10MB so Be say this is the maximum I'll get. However it's so sluggish, I can't access the iTMS half the time, I get timeouts and I actually see all the graphics being loaded on web pages (or sometimes they don't even bother loading)... so it feels more like being on dialup and my old 2MB connection was so much faster. :rolleyes:

I've got to run some line test something-or-other and send them back the results but if it doesn't improve after that I'll be looking for another ISP. The only thing I can't complain about is the upload speed, which *is* very close to their advertised 1.3MB.

3. mpw Guest

Just been announced by our local TelCo, that lost it's monopoly on Wednesday(yay competition), that they're going to increase all broadband speeds by x4 at no extra charge:)

I'm going to go from 1MB to 4MB!!!! The max. available will still only be 8MB for about £50/month but they do seem to get pretty close to the claimed speeds and I've had very little issue at 1MB.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

£50/month? That seems a bit expensive?

5. mpw Guest

Just checked the pricing, and it has got cheaper. 12months ago the top service was 2MB unlimited for £84.99/month, that's now £39.99/month with a 60GB limit. At some point it was £49.99/month unlimited but that service is no longer offered. The x4 speed increase is touted as 'by Christmas'.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Does this mean we can look forward to four times the innuendo? :p

7. dcv macrumors G3

Maybe not four times the quantity but it'll come more quickly...

8. mpw Guest

You can always look forward to it, but the thing about innuendo is it can come when you least expect it and often from behind.

9. mpw Guest

:( I'm not sure that sounds like a good thing at all!

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

And where is it that you live that 2MB pricing is £40 a month?

It Still seems really expensive considering I was paying £28/month for 8MB up till last week (when they cut me off a week early before we moved :mad: )

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Feel bad :eek: since my Be is great and encouraged you to get it!

Have you done all the master box checking etc that they tell you to do?

12. mpw Guest

That'll be Jersey. The TelCo had a monopoly until Wednesday this week now Cable & Wireless have set up shop so some competition should be good. For some reason the marketing genius at C&W have called there service 'sure' and added 'c' and 'w' of Cable & Wireless to make a url that is an anagram of www.screwu.com Does not bode well:(

13. mpw Guest

Could. Not. Resist.

14. dcv macrumors G3

I haven't had time yet, going to sort that out this weekend... not even sure which of the four is the master socket :rolleyes: I hope that makes a difference cos it really has been pain in the arse slooooooowwww. :mad:

15. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Best ISP in the UK, is NTL Cable, 10MB for £34.99 - Its perfect for everything

16. eyup thread starter macrumors regular

eyup

Ntl

Yeh - i'd have gone for NTL - but they ain't dug up the roads on my street. - shame it's not available.

i think i may do the SKY TV offer - 8mb free BB - works out cheaper than my Bulldog and I get Sky, hmmm.