bulletin board software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bonk, May 19, 2005.

1. bonk macrumors member

Sep 17, 2003
    anyone know any cheap, easy to use BB software? I want to set up a very basic forum on a website. allowing anonymous users would be great, too - it's going to be used as a suggestion box, and I doubt many people will want to bother registering for a username.

btw, the MR site says it's powered by vBulletin - but the vBulletin site says the system req's are PC only - huh? is this bogus info, or irony?http://forums.macrumors.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2#
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    vbulletin works on anything from what i know. and i love vB just that their updates are slow in coming out
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    vBulletin is massive and beefy--probably overkill for what you're looking for--and it's not free anyway.

I use SimpleMachines (SMF) on a site with a passable amount of traffic, and it seems to work just fine. There are other projects that are competitive with it, but it's at least one of the systems in the running. You might give it a look, anyway.
  4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    MR uses vB which is by far my FAVORITE bulletin/forum software.

But a free, great one: phpBB...
  5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC

I too find SMF growing on me in a good way ;)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    If the server has PHP and MySQL support, vB can run. I dont know why they would say Windows only. Many servers (probably this one too) run Apache, PHP and MySQL on a Linux server and run vB just fine, and thats essentally what OSX is....a *nix server that can run Apache, PHP and MySQL.