Bump Rule?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bursty, Dec 11, 2005.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I was browsing the Marketplace Section earlier today and saw this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=165131

It got closed because the OP "bumped" it. I didnt realize this was a rule and I cant understand why that would even be a problem...? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why you would impliment this. :confused:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

To stop people from keeping their thread on the first page, by bumping them all the time.

If you want to bump the thread after a while, change the terms of the deal to generate some interest after a certain period.

Too bad you didn't read the rules...

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's too bad a lot of people don't read the rules. We have a few people who know the difference and continue to not know the rules. Is that possible? :eek:

4. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I read the rule, I just dont see much point to it. If I post a thread trying to sell my PB and I wake up the next morning and its 2 pages back and no one has replied, whats the harm in bumping it to the top? I understand its a rule and I will follow it, it just came as a shock to me and was curious...thats all. :cool:

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Because everyone will be bumping their way back on top.

You look at a post with a lot of activity and 20 replies and they are all by bursty. ;)

Then you have to wade through pages of posts that say nothing but "Bump" because bursty wrote a program to keep his post on top. :p

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We remove the bumps. If there are just one or two then the thread survives, however in that particular thread he wasn't taking the hint so it got closed entirely.

8. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I think every thread should be allowed only 2 bumps. If they bump more than twice, lock the thread.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Of course, you can't see the 6 posts I deleted from it and the 3 that other people removed. If you saw everything that we did, you might be quite surprised at what's actually there.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Please, please, please do this.

There are 8k posts in the marketplace that haven't been archived -- that'll give me 16k chances to keep knocking reberto's sales off the first couple pages. :D

Especially since it seems that most of his posts are in the marketplace.

What fun, and a great chance to spam MR and get 16k posts. [​IMG]

Of course everyone else will probably jump on the spam bandwagon and totally destroy the MR marketplace until we use up those 16k free bumps -- well really 22k free bumps if we plan on getting every thread in the marketplace locked. :p

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If your offer isn't compelling enough or interesting enough for people to respond first time round, what makes you think that merely bumping it back to the top will help?

Change the offer to make it better (or appear better; say offer free shipping now) and see if anyone bites? Or lower the price by a few % and see if that helps. If someone's interested they'll go for it. If they're really serious, they're going to look at everything in the past few days anyhow.

What bugs me in the Marketplace are those who put a FEELER out with a price band, get the price they wanted and then turn round and say no. I can understand putting out a feeler to see whether that price is achievable but if someone offers what you want then it seems a little unfair to suddenly say 'tough'

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've never understood the point of feelers anyway... either you want to sell or you don't.

If all you effectively want is a valuation, then why waste people's time in a marketplace?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Marketplace bugs the hell out of me, I think we should just close it :eek: :p

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't think people should be allowed to bump a thread unless they are changing the price or updating the info on what they are selling.

And I have to say that the feeler threads are a bit pointless. If you are thinking about selling something put it up "for sale" - if you don't get the price you want then no harm done. I think a lot of the feeler threads are started by people who have doubts about actually sellling their item unless they get a super-generous offer.

That said, I like the marketplace here. Most of the Mac-related stuff put up for sale finds a buyer pretty quick.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

BUMP is the one word that really ticks me off when i'm searching the forums:mad:

i say any one who try's it gets banned for 7 days :D that'll shut them up

16. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I think the marketplace is great. It is an easy way to trade with other mac users for free (unless you buy something :p ). This site is one of the few mac sites with a marketplace. Even if you think it is crappy, others love it.

17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Of course, if it's a feeler, why respond?

But, yeah, there should be a no-feeler rule. Any post should be considered a commitment to sell at the listed price. If you want a super-good price to be convinced to sell, well, then name the price, and agree to take that money.

18. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you say no feelers, people will just try to sell it without setting a definite price, then after they see if people are interested/what offers they can get, they'll say the want to keep it now.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a Feeler...it's kind of showing that you're not like "Let me get this PowerMac out of my house now" and that you're more like "I'm looking to upgrade, but only if I can find someone interested in this and can maybe give me a decent offer, if not I guess I can use this for a while."

I do think that the marketplace, of all places, needs to have it so when you edit your thread's title, it shows in the lists of posts. This way when someone wants to change it from a feeler to FS or from a trade to FS, or whatever, they can do so...

19. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I agree 100%. That has happened to me a few times when I needed that feature, I don't understand why we can't? :confused:

20. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I would love to be able to edit the title of a thread, especially in the Marketplace.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you want the title edited, just report a post underneath yours and give us the information.

On another note, please don't create new threads to point to your old threads. This will also be considered bumping.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't think you've ever started a Marketplace thread. So why is renaming threads there a concern? :confused: