Bump Top

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by R0ck1t, Feb 6, 2007.

1. R0ck1t macrumors member

R0ck1t

I recently heard from my I.T teacher (used to work for apple) that they might buy Bump Top, its really cool. (Click Here).
    I personally that they would need to design a new sort of Newton type device, or put it on the iPhone.
    Does anyone know any other rumors, or what do you think about this?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Interesting comment. I hadn't seen that before, but the demo certainly shows a very cleverly designed gesture-based pseudo-3D UI. Kudos for the concept.

That said, it looks an awful lot like a way to make your computer's desktop as messy and non-functional as your physical one. I suppose the "heap of documents" metaphor might work for some people, but it's bad enough on the 2D desktop--adding a third dimension would just make it worse. Apple (and Microsoft, for that matter) are both going in the opposite direction--use advanced search to obviate the need for the visual metaphor at all.

'course, we live in a visual world, so the average user often doesn't work that way. I do find it interesting to note, however, that the old UNIX-jockys I know operate that way--everything is a search, "folder-based" organization is meaningless, as does my not at all computer literate mom--she has several hundred files in the same location, and just uses the Finder's "Find" command to get EVERYTHING--there is literally NO organization on her computer.